How to fix a twisted v belt

martik777

Active User
Registered
I got a new type B V belt that was twisted into a figure 8 when shipped. It wobbles and vibrates even after a week under tension. Is there any way to get it to run true?

Lay it flat on a piece of sheet metal and lay a black trash bag on top of it. Let it lay in the sun all day and it will unset.

Alternatively, put it on a cookie sheet and pop it in the oven at around 200 degrees. It is best to not use the wife's favorite cookie sheet or the wife's oven. Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible if you go against my advice and use the wife's favorite cookie sheet and oven.

PS: Non stick cookie sheet will work better and you can get the smell out of the house with fans in the windows on high speed.

Im thinking you could use a heat gun to get the job done without stinkin up the house and getting the significant other riled needlessly! Save that card for when you got no other choice then apologize after the fact.

It won't take more than about 5 mins for it to get floppy. Be careful if you try at higher temps if low temp doesn't get it. It is a very narrow tolerance from softening to meltdown with lots of stink and thick smoke.

Fan belts are made like tires. Toss if the cord weave is warped

Refold it in the opposite direction that you received it for a day. Might work, if not toss it

Back