How to free-up a rusted Albrecht drill chuck

Alcap

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
In the collets of the Clausing 8520 mill I picked up last week were 3 Albrecht keyless drill chucks , cleaned up 2 but the smallest is rusted fast I believe in the open position it's a 0-1/8" At least from what I could read . I'm soaking it in PBlaster but I don't think that's going to do it . Also the collects that came with it have some surface rust Tried using a red Scotch Brite pads and PBlaster on one , came out so-so , any recommendations for those ?

Would that be OK to use on these chucks and collect ?

I would think so but you need to make sure for yourself so that you can do so safely!

Standard DOT3 brake fluid contains polyglycols which are hygroscopic. That's what I would try first if it were my chuck.

electrolytic rust removal works wonderfully
phosphoric acid, as well as evaporust also work very well.

dependent on the degree of oxidation, it may take a couple days to see the desired result- regardless of the method

i have used all 3 methods, they all work!

Just for fun, I looked up Kroil which is purported to be great for rusted stuff. It contains glycols! It's probably good stuff
but very expensive for what it is...

All the information above is good. Let it soak fully submerged, take your time, and do not force anything. It will probably loosen up over time. I would use Evaporust after getting the oil out of it, but you have already gone a different direction, so just use the Evaporust or Kroil. Those little chucks (I have one) are super expensive, so try not to add any additional damage by being rough with it. They are beautiful and useful and highly accurate drill chucks for small work. Parts are available for them.

Brought it with me to work and sprayed Kroil on it keeping in in a plastic bag so not wasting so much of it . I do have a heat gun would that help the Kroil work better ?

I looked up Kroil which is purported to be great for rusted stuff. It contains glycols! It's probably good stuff
but very expensive for what it is...

Kroil is fantastic. You only really use a few drops at a time (I keep mine in a needle applicator bottle); bought an 8oz can three years ago and it's maybe half gone. The penetrant is wintergreen oil, so you can use something like MMO if you want a cheaper replacement that will do almost as well.

Back