How to free-up a rusted Albrecht drill chuck

Success ! I stood it up on end filled it up with Kroil then used the heat gun until I couldn’t touch it with my fingers saw air bubbles and Kroil coming out the bottom just used my hands to work it free

Attachments

• C4A519C8-E6C2-4E23-A84F-196CFE9F6D1C.jpeg
    C4A519C8-E6C2-4E23-A84F-196CFE9F6D1C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
Now take it apart and clean out all the crud in it, before the rusty grit inside destroys everything with use. It will probably need new bearings at the least. Here is the tutorial on disassembling, cleaning up, and reassembling Albrecht chucks, posted by our own Mikey from this forum:
It is the best tutorial out there on rehabbing Albrecht chucks, better than the factory information. I have never had one of the tiny Albrecht chucks apart, but they are probably just a smaller version of the bigger ones.

Now take it apart and clean out all the crud in it, before the rusty grit inside destroys everything with use. It will probably need new bearings at the least. Here is the tutorial on disassembling, cleaning up, and reassembling Albrecht chucks, posted by our own Mikey from this forum:
It is the best tutorial out there on rehabbing Albrecht chucks, better than the factory information. I have never had one of the tiny Albrecht chucks apart, but they are probably just a smaller version of the bigger ones.
I followed Mike's instructions when I rebuilt my Albrecht. Highly recommended. Make sure you count the ball bearings--they like to fly--and a rebuild kit will look like it's missing one (but it's not).

My little cuck is slightly different then the one in the rebuild article but good reading anyway . To be honest I'm a little leery of goofing if up if I take it apart . Would a ultra sonic cleaner work if the correct fluid was in it ? Then just blow it out dry , then oil ?

My little cuck is slightly different then the one in the rebuild article but good reading anyway . To be honest I'm a little leery of goofing if up if I take it apart . Would a ultra sonic cleaner work if the correct fluid was in it ? Then just blow it out dry , then oil ?
It is important to get all the rust grit and petrified oil and/or grease out of it. The external fits are tight enough that some of the rust inside is likely to not make its way out unless you dismantle it, inspect it for more damage, and clean it up really well. If the ball races are damaged, they would need to be reground to properly engage the balls. The balls very likely will also need to be replaced. If you do not do these things, I think you may cause more damage to the chuck with not very much usage. You also might find it in good shape or very poor shape, but there is only one way to know for sure, and that is to check it. "A proper inspection is worth 100 expert opinions."

I haven't worked on one of those little chucks but I would agree with Bob - I would take it apart, clean it, inspect it and go from there. The precision that Albrecht applies to all their chucks should also apply to this one. Rust will easily damage those precision surfaces so for me, I wouldn't even consider not tearing it down.

Maybe consider putting it inside a large ziplock bag to open the case as a safeguard against any small flying pieces and maybe video the event as you slowly open the case to try and catch how its assembled just in case!!!

Back