How to get 25 divisions from a 90:1 ratio rotary table without a 50 hole indexing plate?

Again, thank you to all who helped me. Here are some photos to show what you help me complete. All I have to do yet is to press the dial onto the leadscrew and the boring head is finished!
Believe it or not I used a dremel ball mill. It worked best from what I had available. I am happy with the results. I tried a cheap diamond pointed engraving tool from Harbor Freight but the diamonds blew off the moment I made contact. What a dumb idea trusting a $5 set of diamond engravers from HF !
1DD01941-058D-462E-A975-30A2689153C3.jpeg
68F59E62-E6F5-4CA8-BF78-CFE8AC79242E.jpeg
9AE824BB-A475-4B25-8A0F-DF132EC1087C.jpeg

And here is the boring head. This picture was taken earlier in the build so there’s more done to it than what is shown.

233FAAF8-84AB-4F4F-ACB7-17A324453D18.jpeg
129B2305-E59E-4642-9C7D-3203FD36826B.jpeg

For a guy who overstresses on the math: You do very nice work! I haven't looked at any of the calculators listed here. I'm sure they work just fine once you know how to use them. What I suggest is UTube videos on the subject as they explain what they are doing & why. Even better, look for this book on line. I downloaded the PDF file for free. It even has exercises at the end of each section just like a school book. Keep up the good work!

0001.jpg

Great idea on the book and the YouTube videos. A while ago I wanted to make a bolt and I needed to know what size round stock I would need for the hex head. I couldn’t find the formula online because I was wording my google search wrong. Just recently I saw a video that Abom79 did where he used the Engineers Black Book to find the formula for the hex. I looked for a free PDF of the Engineers Black Book but have yet to find one. Right now I’m looking to see if I can find a free PDF on the machine shop mathematics. I have seen a few videos on using the dividing plates but none have really gone into how to do the math. Stefan Gotteswinter just did a video on using the dividing plates but he didnt go into to much detail. I think I understand it now. Next time I go to use The dividing plates I will come back to this thread. Thanks for the info. I’ll see if I can find the PDF
For a guy who overstresses on the math: You do very nice work! I haven't looked at any of the calculators listed here. I'm sure they work just fine once you know how to use them. What I suggest is UTube videos on the subject as they explain what they are doing & why. Even better, look for this book on line. I downloaded the PDF file for free. It even has exercises at the end of each section just like a school book. Keep up the good work!

9t8z28, Stefan & many others are a great source of info on UTube. I call them my college professors! I've only heard good things about the Black Book. Probably have to get that on EBay or Amazon 2nd hand. I bought the 1971 Machineries large print version. Thought that perfect for me as my cars are 64 - 72. I really enjoy the book I recommended to you because I like to do the math. It helps to prove my grasp (or lack thereof) of the concept needed. Found a link for you: https://archive.org/details/machineshopmathe00wentrich

Thank you for the link. I’m starting to read it now. Great info!
64 to 72. Sounds like you’re a GM A-body man!
9t8z28, Stefan & many others are a great source of info on UTube. I call them my college professors! I've only heard good things about the Black Book. Probably have to get that on EBay or Amazon 2nd hand. I bought the 1971 Machineries large print version. Thought that perfect for me as my cars are 64 - 72. I really enjoy the book I recommended to you because I like to do the math. It helps to prove my grasp (or lack thereof) of the concept needed. Found a link for you: https://archive.org/details/machineshopmathe00wentrich

MoPar. Wanted a D100, but got a 64 F100. Have a 64 Cuda, 70 & 72 Chargers.

Here's a handy program that has a calculator for Dividing heads or rotary tables.

Attachments

• ShopCalc_win32.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
Back