How to get bearings off shaft?

EDIT: BTW, don't bang on the shaft with a hammer or you'll peen the end like a mushroom.
Ray
So very true! I had a guy I worked with and told others dont give him the hammer!

He learned after 2 months working with me.

Hi, OM,

Will the smaller one work with a bearing only 1 inch in diameter? They're a little pricey, (on sale for $42.99), and I'd like to make sure they'll fit before considering it...

Yes, it will work on the small bearings.

Yes, it will work on the small bearings.

BTW: My preference would be to use a bearing separator... There are times when they won't fit so, you just do what needs to be done... One time, I was working on an engine and couldn't get a pulley puller to fit -so I drilled/tapped holes and fashioned a smaller center puller. Whatever it takes, do it decisively -but don't make a mess of things.

Ray

Thanks to everyone for their advice! Since I was going to have to buy a $30 gear puller anyway, and a Harbor Freight bearing separator and puller was on sale for $42.99, AND I have a couple dozen 20% off coupons, (my wife tears them out of every magazine she reads for me; I save them 'til I need them), I bought a proper bearing separator/puller for under $35 plus tax. Wow... what a difference having the right tool makes. I had both bearings off in 15 minutes. Ray was right; this was the better way to go, and I have it for the next time. The photo shows the puller ready to remove the second bearing.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions!

Bearing Puller.jpg

Bearing Puller.jpg

I had a similar problem with a pinion bearing on a 4 wheeler. I cut an angle like I described earlier, on both sides almost through. then I struck the race ,backed up by a piece of railroad track, with a hammer the inner race broke cleanly across the cut line. Remember safety glasses, and a face shield when working with anything that has the possibility to shatter, or fragment!

- - - Updated - - -
"CHIPBUF"
As long as we are spilling our guts, another trick we used was for removing taper bearing cups from machine parts without having or being able to use pullers is to take the mig or stick welder and weld a bead around the face of the cup, let it cool, and you can remove it with your fingers or a very light pry.

High jacked from another thread.

I had a similar problem with a pinion bearing on a 4 wheeler. I cut an angle like I described earlier, on both sides almost through. then I struck the race ,backed up by a piece of railroad track, with a hammer the inner race broke cleanly across the cut line. Remember safety glasses, and a face shield when working with anything that has the possibility to shatter, or fragment!

- - - Updated - - -
"CHIPBUF"
As long as we are spilling our guts, another trick we used was for removing taper bearing cups from machine parts without having or being able to use pullers is to take the mig or stick welder and weld a bead around the face of the cup, let it cool, and you can remove it with your fingers or a very light pry.

High jacked from another thread.

JP,

I was going to cut it and pop it as you describe, but when someone suggested the bearing separator, it just seemed the better solution.

BUT... I *DID* do this after the bearings were off. I wanted to salvage the balls for possible future projects, so I made two right angle cuts with the dremel, one deep enough to cut through, and the other almost that deep. A twist with a screwdriver, and the outer race section popped out and let me rotate the cage, emptying the bearings.

I've heard of that trick with the MIG welder, but I've never tried it...

BERINING is toast so why save it only way is whizzer or chop saw. Live saver those sealed bearing's slit it for oil with cut off blade.

Thanks to everyone for their advice! Since I was going to have to buy a $30 gear puller anyway, and a Harbor Freight bearing separator and puller was on sale for $42.99, AND I have a couple dozen 20% off coupons, (my wife tears them out of every magazine she reads for me; I save them 'til I need them), I bought a proper bearing separator/puller for under $35 plus tax. Wow... what a difference having the right tool makes. I had both bearings off in 15 minutes. Ray was right; this was the better way to go, and I have it for the next time. The photo shows the puller ready to remove the second bearing.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions!

View attachment 59847

They told you right alright! Once you get the right tools to do the job you got to see what a breeze having them makes a job! Congratulations and good move listening to the great advice!

The quickest way that I know of, is use a torch to heat them, they'll fall right off!! :)

Hope that helps,

Ron

Many times they are not that tight and I will first try this first. I screw a nut onto the threaded end to protect hem and slam the shaft nut side down on a a chunk of steel. The momentum and fast stop the shaft and the bearings will fly off. You could also try a super thin chisel between the gear and the bearing. have to be careful not to burr the gear. Those pullers are not cheap and if your only going to do one, take it to an auto machine shop and they can get it off for you for cheap. Many old manufacturers would drill small holes in the face of the gear so all you did was to use a pin punch and tap the bearings off. Rich

- - - Updated - - -

Many times they are not that tight and I will first try this first. I screw a nut onto the threaded end to protect hem and slam the shaft nut side down on a a chunk of steel. The momentum and fast stop the shaft and the bearings will fly off. You could also try a super thin chisel between the gear and the bearing. have to be careful not to burr the gear. Those pullers are not cheap and if your only going to do one, take it to an auto machine shop and they can get it off for you for cheap. Many old manufacturers would drill small holes in the face of the gear so all you did was to use a pin punch and tap the bearings off. Rich

Back