How to get Near-Chrome Finish on 303 Stainless?

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just finished 4 stand-offs for a vintage auto luggage rack. I sanded them to 500 grit, then polished with Flitz on the lathe, but they don't have the mirror sheen I'm looking for. I'm wondering if getting a Harbor Freight tumbler would be a way to get the desired finish? If so, what series of media should I use?

This is what I have:
IMG_1733[1].JPG

This what I want them to look like:
Luggage Rack Hardware.JPGIMG_0480.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Evan

Last edited:
Google, "Unitised Polishing Wheel" or ''Buffing Wheel and Compound". Shopping and youtube. I get mine from Aliexpress, Paladin.
Emery down to 1000, 2000 will make an improvement also. But the buffing will do the job, from where you are at, but with a bit more work...?

Mark,
Thanks. A buffing wheel and rouge was my initial thought, but then I was thinking the parts lend themselves to tumbling. I will need to figure out an arbor to hold the standoffs if I use a buffing wheel--not a huge deal.

I've seen very shiny rocks out of a rotary tumbler, but I have no experience on a vibratory tumbler, so didn't know if it could do wonders on stainless as well?
Evan

+1 on the buffing wheel and compound. Also look at Mass polish if you want to do it manually.

Simichrome is a nice polish for final hand finishing of fine work. Protects, too.

I agree with Mark & Mikey. Polishing to 500 grit then 555 , then flitz or semi-chrome.
BTW I have never seen stainless shine like chrome, (if that's what you are expecting), close but not quite the same. May be due the hardness of the chrome.
Chuck

I know the color of stainless isn’t chrome, but a mirror finish gets close. A buffing wheel and polish it is!

The way i got a chrome like mirror finish from SS on a workpiece that I would put on a project like you are working on was a process of wet sanding progressivly down to 2500 grit before going through multiple polishing compounds/ Rouge with different types of cloth buffing wheel (Tight sewn- to Loose Buff) until i got the finish i was after which was a Mirror like surface.....Basically you sand and sand and sand then polish then polish some more and when you think you are done polish it again type thing!

Now if you are planning on doing more then the current polish project that consists of small parts then investing into a tumbler type polishing system could be worth the money because you do not need to be present as the tumbler does its thing but I Do Not Believe that it will produce the finish you are after without the Buffing process using polishing compounds. As for the type of media to use i would think Aluminum Oxide of silicon carbide i. Different grits would do a good job prepping the part for final polishing but ive never personally tried this method.

The way i got a chrome like mirror finish from SS on a workpiece that I would put on a project like you are working on was a process of wet sanding progressivly down to 2500 grit before going through multiple polishing compounds/ Rouge with different types of cloth buffing wheel (Tight sewn- to Loose Buff) until i got the finish i was after which was a Mirror like surface.....Basically you sand and sand and sand then polish then polish some more and when you think you are done polish it again type thing!

Now if you are planning on doing more then the current polish project that consists of small parts then investing into a tumbler type polishing system could be worth the money because you do not need to be present as the tumbler does its thing but I Do Not Believe that it will produce the finish you are after without the Buffing process using polishing compounds. As for the type of media to use i would think Aluminum Oxide of silicon carbide i. Different grits would do a good job prepping the part for final polishing but ive never personally tried this method.
Great info. Thanks!

I do this all the time with stainless and aluminum pieces. Your gonna want to refine your scratches down to at least 800 to 1000. Then using a buffing wheel and I believe the white compound will give you a mirror finish. You need to remember your scratches should get finer with the different grits. If you see deeper scratches you have to get them out before going to the next grit. Beauty of stainless is once polished it’s done. No need for a clear like aluminum that tarnishes. Nice car by the way. Got a 428cj?

Last edited:
Back