How to hold 3 inch alumimun tube in lathe

dllewellyn

Registered
Registered
I have a 6 inch long x 3 inch wide aluminum tube with 1/2 inch thickness. I am using a 13 inch Regal lathe that has a chuck with on set of jaws that are stepped inward and one stepped outward. I am trying to reduce the OD of the tube, but the lathe jaws only can clamp on about 1/2 inch of the tube no matter which way I set the jaws holding either from the inside or outstide. No matter how I try to hold the tube, it wobbles as soon as machine is started up. I have a steady rest, but that doesn't leave enough clearance to cut the tubes.

Maybe if I had a different chuck it would work, but finding new chucks don't have the thread to fit the Regal lathe.

So far, I can put the tube in a rotary table and turn it on the Bridgeport, but it would be far easier to do in a Lathe.

I don't understand the jaws comment about two inward and one outward, can you post a picture? I've turned lots of tube or pipe and use a bull nose center. Depending on how accurate you need your dimensions you could cut a piece of wood and shape it with a taper that fits into the tube and a flat face that the center will fit into.

Im with November,,,chuck jaw with two inwards and one outward? I try to help but
I cant picture that. New to me. Chuck jaws suppose to all face the same way most
can chuck on the inside or outside. I just picture one being upside down for some
unknow reason. Just like xray said, no got bull center,, make from wood, dial it in
all is good then center drill the wood. Correct me a 3 inch OD amounts to inch and
a half jaw opening, three or four jaw dont matter. I am not a wise guy, but a 3x6"
piece of work should have been done already. I read it again and, no, this short
stock should not have a steady, it needs dead center. And then "1/2" grip it wobbles
yes, but thats all you need. Us guys are all here to help, some including me are
old timers or perhaps you have some kind of NASA chuck that I aint seen yet.
Please reply I just have to know as to this problem. ALSO if you have a 3 jaw and
some, turning jaws in and outwards thats a delicate proceedure they gotta be in
sync. four jaws doesnt matter. samuel d.

I think what he has is a 3 jaw chuck 2 sets of 3 jaws one set for inside and one set for outside. Just make a plug with a center spot and use the inside jaws and the lale stock and have at it.

I think what he has is a 3 jaw chuck 2 sets of 3 jaws one set for inside and one set for outside. Just make a plug with a center spot and use the inside jaws and the lale stock and have at it.

Right. I have a 3 jaw chuck with with 2 sets of jaws. The jaw have three steps in them. One set has the steps in the center being the longest and the other set has the outer steps being the longest. However I try to hold the aluminum tube, it wobbles. I can only grip about 1/2 inch of the tub because of the size of the steps.

Here are some pictures of the two setups

IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG

Right. I have a 3 jaw chuck with with 2 sets of jaws. The jaw have three steps in them. One set has the steps in the center being the longest and the other set has the outer steps being the longest. However I try to hold the aluminum tube, it wobbles. I can only grip about 1/2 inch of the tub because of the size of the steps.

Using the jaws in the picture to the right, close them all the way and see if the tube will fit over them and then open the jaws tight against the tube. If you do not have a bull nose center make a wooden piece that fits inside the other end and using a dial indicator, get the tube to run true then spot the center and install a center in the tailstock and use the tailstock to hold the end and push positive pressure against the chuck. Since it is aluminum and using sharp HSS tools, it should cut easily.

Using the jaws in the picture to the right, close them all the way and see if the tube will fit over them and then open the jaws tight against the tube. If you do not have a bull nose center make a wooden piece that fits inside the other end and using a dial indicator, get the tube to run true then spot the center and install a center in the tailstock and use the tailstock to hold the end and push positive pressure against the chuck. Since it is aluminum and using sharp HSS tools, it should cut easily.

I don't have a bull nose center, but will order one. To make a wood piece that fits inside, do you have any suggestions?

You could cut a 2 x 4 with a hole saw of sufficient size to get a plug from, then chuck this up in your lathe, true it if need be and flip it around and true the portion beneath the jaws and turn a slight taper on it to allow one end to fit inside the tube. You could even spot the center in the 3 jaw after trueing it up. However it depends on how accurate your tube needs to be as you may want to obtain a bull nose center. (Or build one out of metal)

However I try to hold the aluminum tube, it wobbles. I can only grip about 1/2 inch of the tub because of the size of the steps.

Have you checked the run out of your chuck just to be sure it is concentric? Perhaps the jaws are placed out of order or in the wrong slots? Just a thought.

are you using a pipe live center to stabilize the stock?

Back