How to hold a tap in the tailstock?

Pontiac Freak

Active User
Registered
What is a easy, cheap way to hold a tap in the tailstock on my lathe? I tried with drill bit chuck but it just spun. Had to do it by hand.....:nuts:

Depending on the end of the tap, either a regular pointed taper or a reversed point, ie has a center hole to receive the end of the tap, and basically turn the work and hold the tap with a wrench. Just like turning between centers. A bit difficult to do, need two hands if you'll not have a spring center.
That is the cheapest.

I have adapters to fit my tailstock die holder with square holes broached in them for the different size square ends.

"Billy G" :))

I have a spring loaded layout punch I mount in the tailstock. Depending where your located, they are dirt cheap, about
5 bucks at places like harbour feight. They are the spring loaded type that you just push the tip on your layout mark, and when it gets to the end of the travel, it clicks, and makes a punch mark. Great for quick punch marks for drilling, or use as a spring loaded guide for your taps.

Then comes those times when the tap you have, doesnt have the drilled dimple for the spring loaded device. This is when you need one of those tap holders that have the ferral to tighten the tap into it, and the other end has the little round stock handle. Most are allready drilled on the centre of the handle end, and the spring loaded device fits in perfect.

Those are allso available dirt cheap to.
Even if the handle end isnt drilled, just chuck it you lathe, and take a centre drill and put your own dimple in it. Many tap sets come with these as well as the standard handle.

You dont need any thing fancy , or expensive, just the spring loaded punch, and a few sizes of the tap handles. The type with the ferral to tighten the tap. Then regardless if the tap wil take the sping loaded point, or not, you have a way to get them started and get it straight.

As a matter of fact, I had to use both items tonight, the 1/4-20 tap had not been drilled to take the point.

I should have taken a pic while it was setup, it would have made it more clear.

One other way you could do it with out any extra tooling in a pinch, is remove the chuck from the tailstock, and put the tailstock barell up against your tap handle. It will help keep things straight, provided your tap handle is flat on that side.

You can roughen the shank of the tap by rolling it gently against a bench grinder and it will grip enough but slip before it breaks. Just make sure it stays round and consistent. Or if you're really good, grind three flats @ 120°.

I have a spring loaded layout punch I mount in the tailstock
I should have taken a pic while it was setup, it would have made it more clear.

If you get the chance could you snap a pic of your setup so I can wrap my brain around it?

I am using a 12x36 HF and was trying to tap a 5/16 bolt into the end of a shaft.

Thanks

If you get the chance could you snap a pic of your setup so I can wrap my brain around it?

I am using a 12x36 HF and was trying to tap a 5/16 bolt into the end of a shaft.

Thanks

He is hand tapping and just using the punch to hold the tap wrench streight. most tap wrenches are spot drilled in the back for that purpuse.

Pontiac

I have alot on my plate today, but I will get some pics up, later on today.

Back