How To Hold Small Parts?

kyler

Active User
Registered
I'm making handlebar risers. They are 25mm long and 25mm OD with a 10.5mm hole. I made a mistake and didn't turn them to the final size before parting.

How do I mount these so I can turn them down to 25MM? Is there some sort of expanding bolt?

There are different designs of arbors you can make. One uses a pipe plug (tapered threads) and split the shaft with a hacksaw or whatever.

Inside or outside turning?

If outside make an arbor and bolt them to it then turn away.

If inside hold them in a chuck and bore to your hearts content.

Inside or outside turning?

If outside make an arbor and bolt them to it then turn away.

outside. Is there a discussion on the forums about making an arbor? or perhaps a video someplace?

Just grab a piece 3/4 of round stock or what ever you have chuck in lathe turn it down to a interference fit for the 10.5 id a little less than the 25mm length
drill and tap to m6 and tap your part on and tighten with a washer. leave the arbor in the chuck till you get both parts turned down.

Just grab a piece 3/4 of round stock or what ever you have chuck in lathe turn it down to a interference fit for the 10.5 id a little less than the 25mm length
drill and tap to m6 and tap your part on and tighten with a washer. leave the arbor in the chuck till you get both parts turned down.
perfect - thanks!

Back