How To Install Bronze Bushings

That is my understanding as well.

David
If these are Oilite bushings then do not ream them unless you have an exceptionally sharp reamer. Go to a web site that discusses Oilite bushings and read up on them. Reaming or drilling out Oilite bushings smears the metal and seals the pores so that they are no longer a lubricated bushing.

Vlad

oilite installation.png Vlad gave a good answer. You'll need to use the "close in" calculator on Oilite's web site to do the proper job. All the whys and wherefores are in the free downloadable catalog.

Man, what great responses, all of them. I will gather some energy and attack the problem with renewed vigor and a lot more knowledge. Thanks all!

If your drilling set up is rigid, you can get away with drilling 1/64" under, then use the at size drill. This will most of the time make a slightly larger hole with larger drills, but it can work. I do some parts with a 5/8" od 1/2" id bushings. I drill and ream the hole, press in the bushing, then ream the bushing with a .503 reamer. For what I am doing it works great.

I've removed and installed bushings like this.

Made me cringe seeing work like that done on a surface plate.

I agree. I at least make an effort to keep my surface plate covered if and when I do something like this over mine. I have another work area where I do things like this.

That surface plate can be replaced for $45 canadian so like $2 american. I actually got it free, It's of questionable accuracy to start with so I don't mind using it as a work table sometimes.

Both of my plates are tool room grade, so I'm a little careful on how they get treated.

Made me cringe seeing work like that done on a surface plate.
You'll need a 11/16" drill bit and a .7495" reamer for optimum bushing installation.
then you may also need a reamer for the inside diameter if your shaft is exactly the id of the bushing.
you will need .001-.003" running clearance between the bushing and shaft, generally speaking .
a hacksaw will work,
may i suggest using a small hose clamp as a guide for cutting?
all the best of luck
mike
If you must resort to reaming, remember that it will no longer be an OILITE
bearing, best to take your Moto-tool and cut an" x" groove ( tiny ) to spread the
oil ..........BLJHB

Back