How to... internal threading/grooving

scattermaster

Registered
Registered
Hey guys,
I'm taking my 1st crack at making internal threads. This time It's about a 2" ID roughly in aluminum. I'm making a 16 TPI thread.
I will need to make a groove to give the threading tool a place to stop.
Is there a boring bar with tooling that will make those?
I don't need to go very far in (about 2.5") but in the future I think I'll want to go deeper.
??

Good for you!

If you are asking about inserted tooling, yes groove bars are made for that and should be used to cut an angular thread exit, usually a 45°.

On the other hand, a HSS holder type bar can be used with the appropriately ground groove tool.

You may find groove bars priced seemingly high.

As Tony stated, special grooving bars can be expensive.

The HSS boring bars with right angle bend mentioned by Tony are readily available, just need to grind the end to width of the groove.

Another option is a double ended bar which can use inexpensive 1/8in square HSS cutters. An example from Grizzly, but this style is available at many locations.

I have one of these. The only issue I have is that the cutter tends to slip. Small set screw is not able to apply a lot of pressure, so light cuts needed.

Double ended boring bar

I use a high speed steel tool bit in a boring bar to cut a groove for a blind internal thread. You can make one yourself.

boring bar.jpg

Set up P.H. Horn internal groove tool this afternoon for parts that will run tomorrow.
Retaining ring grooves in a .985" bore 1 1/2" inside, this bar will go 3 1/4" deep.
internal groove tool.jpg

Well I got my groove made using a bar from my milling boring bar set. Good enough to move on.
I made some mistakes on my project but the thread fit is incredible. I can't feel any play what so ever, but it still screws on and off easily.
Now I just need to come up with a real use for my "can".IMG_1179.JPGIMG_1180.JPGIMG_1185.JPG

If there's no particular dimension required for a relief groove I just use the threading tool. I plunge it in and hand feed it back and forth about .125" to form the groove. It's quick and uses the same depth setting as the thread.

Back