How to lift a surface plate to stand...without cherry picker or crane etc?

I wonder why a couple of these ideas seem like the plate goes home with someone else? :) No one has said load it in their car YET. LOL

Sorry I didn't mentioned it but the plate is 24"x24"x3" it's not super heavy but enough I can't lift it alone. On the stand all four corners will each have a piece of angle iron that sticks up to keep the plate from sliding off and or protecting the corners? But I am wondering if that is even needed with this size of plate. I'll move back over to the support thread for that question. I don't want to weld corners on after placing the stone. Plus I have to paint first.

So it's wood stacks/rails/ or engine hoist. I would borrow one but I haven't had any mechanic friends for years now. I could probably attract a few people from Sacramento if I bought a bunch of beer and offered food. If they could get here before I drank it all. :D I do have a big bar I built downstairs with some pinball machines.

Thanks for the ideas folks. I'll have to ponder it out.

Put the corners on the stand. You don't want that rock walking off over time. Consider bolting at least two on rather than welding. That way you can slide it rather than having to lift it.

Can you rig a chain fall from the ceiling? I lagged a 2x4 to the bottom of the floor joists and lifted it then slid the stand under and lowered into place. Use 3 joists and I don't think you'll have a problem.

You can sister a 2by to whatever is existing. And support both ends with adjustable basement stantions. Sorry forgot the name. Then go ahead and use that chainfall. Pull and store until next needed

My dad built a tool & die cart/lift that I kept from his shop. I put my rock on it, roll it in place, my son and I slid it over onto the surface place stand. we put a couple of slats over the top of the stand to slide the rock over onto the stand. Then pull the slats out. Might see if anyone has one to borrow or rent.

Put the corners on the stand. You don't want that rock walking off over time. Consider bolting at least two on rather than welding. That way you can slide it rather than having to lift it.

Great Idea. I'll bolt two of them on. That way I can still get them painted.
With the 3 pads on the bottom of the plate I'll have to work around those to keep them from getting pushed off during sliding it on.

Back