How to Loosen X-Axis Handle Nut?

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I thought I'd install an x-axis power feed that I've had sitting around for several months onto my 3/4 (8x36) BP clone today. I got as far as finding the right wrench to remove the handle retaining nut. I squeezed the wrench toward the handle as hard as I could, but couldn't break the nut loose. I didn't want to take a chance on damaging the handle, so I thought I'd shout out to this group for suggestions on how best to break the acorn nut loose.

Enco Mill X-axis handle.jpg

Confirm right hand thread, and an impact tool. Jamming the handle, using a box wrench, and hammer may put the handle in jeopardy.

Confirm right hand thread, and an impact tool. Jamming the handle, using a box wrench, and hammer may put the handle in jeopardy.
I tried lefty-loosey first. Then righty-loosey. No joy either way. Just found a video loosening the nut--it is RH threads. The impact wrench is a good idea.

i'd put the table near the center of travel and give a few spirited taps with the box wrench and a hammer

You could also try heat on the nut,,,, 1 for the expansion,,,, 2 possible red loctite.

Both good suggestions! Thanks.

Are both handles keyed? To install CNC retrofits, I use a nut with a key way in it on the other end to hold the screw while putting the thrust nut on it. It adds work, but its a thought.

Jon

Are both handles keyed? To install CNC retrofits, I use a nut with a key way in it on the other end to hold the screw while putting the thrust nut on it. It adds work, but its a thought.

Jon
Jon,
I'm not sure. This is the first time I've had either nut loose. I do know that the left nut is too far away for me to hold a wrench on while I loosen the right nut. Will try impact and heat and report back.

Evan

The advantage of that is also that its easier for a second person to get leverage on a wrench than trying to hold a table handle.

Jon

Back