How to Machine Question

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I run a solid tool post and it is a real pain to swap back to the compound. My lathe has 2 big T-slots on the cross slide. My idea is to mount the compound there on a platen that will bolt into the t slots. The cross slide is 6" wide and the compound is 5.5" in diameter. It's held on by two 10mm T bolts. I have a few ideas but would like some opinions on how to go about this. Also, what size and material would you use?

What size lathe? Depending on how much room you need to get in to the lathe center area, take a pc. of 1" plate 6" sq. mount in 4jaw center it up and cut half the thickness down to your 5.5"diameter. The left over square flat section drill yourself holes that mate to the t-slots in the carriage. Then t-slot the diameter for your compound bolts.

13x30.
One of my ideas was to eliminate the cutting of a T-slot. and just a slot for the t-bolt. The only difference I see would be the bolt could drop out if loosened. Not a big deal.
I am not 100% certain how I would go about cutting a T-slot. Drill a larger hole, insert t-cutter from the bottom, place in collet and mill it out then change to a larger size and repeat?
I wonder if I could grind a lathe tool and do it all on the lathe?

I admit that I am totally confused and apologize for being dense. Are you talking about mounting the compound at the back of the cross slide while keeping the plinth mounted up front? This would allow you to use both, provided there is enough room to work in between the two. Can you clarify exactly what you are trying to achieve?

Mike,
No worries. It's my fault as I don't do a very good job in explaining.
Plinth, yes that is what I meant to say, not platen.
I want to be able to easily use my compound when needed. Slide the plinth into the T-slots and start turning.
The two T slots are only on the backside of the cross slide so I would not be able to mount my tool post to it for normal turning from the front.
The compound would come off when not in use.

You guys lost me right out of the gate.
How about a plan?
I want to see what you are trying to do too.
That's how we all learn.

Mike,
No worries. It's my fault as I don't do a very good job in explaining.
Plinth, yes that is what I meant to say, not platen.
I want to be able to easily use my compound when needed. Slide the plinth into the T-slots and start turning.
The two T slots are only on the backside of the cross slide so I would not be able to mount my tool post to it for normal turning from the front.
The compound would come off when not in use.

Okay, so let me see if I have this right. Your current cross slide table has T-slots but only on the back half, is that right? If so, then the original mount for the compound on the front half does not have T-slots; instead, the compound mounts with what, bolts? So you currently are using a plinth on top of which is your QCTP. When needed, you want to be able to slide the plinth to the rear so it is out of the way and then install the compound in its original location so you can cut tapers or threads or whatever; is this correct? If so, are you asking how to extend the T-slots from the rear of the cross slide all the way up front?

Not quite.
Maybe I'm not correct in calling it a plinth. Just a plate I guess is what I'm talking about.
Yes on the T-slots, a little less than the rear half.
Yes, the compound mounts with 2 T-bolts.
I currently have a solid tool post mount only.
No. When needed I want to slide the plate/plinth into the rear t-slots and mount my compound on top of that. I could turn a taper from the rear and keep my front solid tool post in place.
I do not want to extend the T-slots.
IMG_20190905_174258218.jpg

Yeah I think post 2 would give you what you need. You don't need to t-slot for the compound it would just give more versatility to the compound. You could throw two studs in it and be done. Thinking about it a compound bolts to the carriage then a tool post on top the compound. That gives you the lathe center height area. If you take a plate of 1" thickness and make a adapter for your compound to sit on the t-slot of the carriage you will be 1" higher which might cause all types of problems with getting tools on center?
With your solid tool post mount you have, did you tap mounting holes into the carriage for your block?

I've thought about being above center but I think I can manage as I plan on making a tool post to fit.
I also think 1" thick might be Overkill. I could get by on .75" or probably even 5/8" thick.
No I didn't tap any holes. It is mounted directly as the compound would be. The only difference is I have three T-bolts rather than two.

Back