How to machine the end of a 1.5" dia rod perfectly round?

toysareforboys

Registered
Registered
I have a solid plastic (Delrin) cylinder, 1.5" dia x 3" long.

I need to make one end of it perfectly round, like the top of this:

direct impact foam round.jpg

I have a mini hobby lathe (BusyBee B-244). How would that be possible?

I can make it pointed, but want to try it round:

delrin inert projectile 40mm case for m203 front.jpg

Let me know please and thanks!

-Jamie M.

Search for 'ball turner'... plenty of info about it...

-Bear

That should do fine on delrin... may be a little lightweight if you want to use it on steel.

Many of us have made our own ball turners... I tried to download a photo, but for some reason, the website won't let me right now...

-Bear

That one should be ok on aluminum... you may have to take light cuts to get a decent finish... IDK... I haven't used one like that.

-Bear

When we say steel we really mean steel, it's not a code word or anything like that LOL
being as how steel is harder to machine than other non-ferrous metals, some light duty machines struggle with it

Does nobody stop to ask what this guy is doing with a 40mm grenade launcher? The item in the first image is a less lethal round used by military and law enforcement. If you are a member of law enforcement, then it's a really bad idea to use home made projectiles, for in the event that you cause unnecessary harm to an assailant or protester you are taking on liabilities otherwise directed to the manufacturer. Not to mention any policies directed down through the chain of command.
http://www.defense-technology.com/p...shable-foam-round-1093449.html#sz=12&start=34

If you are a member of law enforcement
Not a member, thanks ;)

I just launch stuff, what else are you supposed to do with it?

smoke_grenade_out_of_barrel.png

-Jamie M.

Back