How to machine the end of a 1.5" dia rod perfectly round?

Is the o ring groove square? Seems to me that lube would help the o ring slide into the chamber.
Yep, square and a little oversized to allow it to compress lots. What makes it extra hard to slide in is the extractor cut at the bottom of the barrel/chamber. The o-ring likes to try to squeeze out into this cutout as you're sliding it in, and it can get pinched.

To make the barrel easier to clean I spray it down with WD40 before launching, so there will be plenty of lube around to help.

Looks like I've got to work my day off so won't be any launching until next week probably :(

-Jamie M.

Oh damn, looks like I got some work ahead of me! :)

65_eXact_iMpact_40mm_aluminum_hulls_with_sponge_projectiles_all_sm.jpg

65_eXact_iMpact_40mm_aluminum_hulls_with_sponge_projectiles_close_sm.jpg

Lathe don't fail me now!

-Jamie M.

I made a stainless steel .38 to 209 adapter but man, stainless steel is hard to machine on my little hobby lathe :( I think I'll stick to aluminum or the .38 brass blanks to 209's.

The projectile you see without the rifling engagement band and no external o-ring actually has two o-ring's inside!

double_oring_internal_test_1_sm.jpg

double_oring_internal_test_2_sm.jpg

The one on the right has the two internal o-rings. Can't wait to test that one! I wonder if the o-rings can be reused? lol.

three_to_test_front_sm.jpg

And the one in the center has my stainless steel .38 to 209 adapter:

stainless_steel_38_to_209_adapter_1_sm.jpg

-Jamie M.

Definitely need to make enough of those to fill an over the shoulder bandolier ammo belt. Looks like you have one to work with already

Definitely need to make enough of those to fill an over the shoulder bandolier ammo belt. Looks like you have one to work with already
haha, yep! That's both a belt and shoulder bandolier. There's a big gun show this weekend. I'll probably wear it as a belt so it doesn't cover up much of the logo on my shirt :)

lmt%2040mm%20tshirt%20sm.jpg

I'll get back to mass production tonight!

-Jamie M.

Found out there is a "no ammo" policy at the gun show this weekend so lost my motivation to make a bunch more, lol. :(

five_done_in_a_row_sm.jpg

I should get to cook those off on Sunday if everything goes to plan.

-Jamie M.

Last edited:
Consider making a bullet puller that fits those. So if there is a misfire (cap looks hit but not fired and you have a loaded round that needs to be dealt with) you are ready to easily pull the projectile off and reload it.

Back