[4]

How to Machine This Part

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
A friend at work asked if I could machine a new handle for this super old clamp I think it is. I know he's got an old manual drill press that needs fixing but this looks like a handle from a clamp.
I think the end on the screw can be pressed out but not sure how to get the handle off. Thinking this must be cast iron. He wants it remade in cast iron which I'm not to excited about but said I'd think about giving it a shot.
Any ideas how to go about it?

Attachments

benmychree

John York
Likely best to braze or cast iron (torch) weld it. It would not be easy to recreate it so as to look original in cast iron, except by having a pattern made and casting it in iron.

WarrenP

Registered
Yes, I agree best idea would be to weld it back together.

GL

Registered
May try high Nickel stick weld rod also. Local weld supply should be able to hook you up.

ddickey

That's what I was thinking also.
Thanks guys.

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
Welding cast iron is tricky, if not done properly it can cause cracks to start elsewhere on the part.
Preheat the parts and any metal contacting them, work table, clamps etc. Use an acetylene or blowtorch, get it around 800f. After the weld allow the part to cool slowly, you can hit the part with the torch again and slowly back off or cover it with dry preheated sand.
30 years ago, I did a similar weld repair on a cast-iron foot pedal for a vintage dentists chair, its still in one piece.

GunsOfNavarone

I'd TIG weld it with silicon bronze. It's lower welding temp and bonding excellent with dissimilar metals would make it a good canidate.

Cadillac

Registered
Or make one out of steel. Then tell him the reason not to make out of cast is this very situation. It breaks. Reuse handle can shape a lot of it with hand grinder and flaps to take edges off. Just machine the lug ends circular with holes and grind the rest.

ddickey

I'll ask him about that.

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
I agree easiest way is to weld it and use hand files to smooth back the weld. Other way is to have it cast in steel or start with a square piece or steel and mill one. You'll also need a rotary table for the ends and couple of round end mills, but it can be done.

BaronJ

Registered
Hi Guys,

I agree with welding this part back together and the comments about pre-heating and very slow cooling. I would drill a dowel hole in each part, to fit a hollow pin. Press the two parts together and grind a "V" all round for the weld fillet, and then when cold, finish to size by grinding.

I've done similar repairs and its not as easy as it looks, setting fire to the wooden handle is a hazard, so a wet cloth comes in handy here.

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Is the a tool that can not be replaced at all?

If a simple clamp I suspect that a new one would cost less then fixing that.

ddickey

Since it's almost a century old I doubt it. :)

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
What I would do is , I'd turn the head of the rod down. And I'd mill a handle close the original size dimensions . Turning the rod head down so the wall thickness and the diameter are fifty fifty. Without knowing dimensions I'm guessing 5/8"x the new handle diameter guessing 1 1/4" then I'd red locktite it together, and drill and pin together 1/8" pin works . Or slot the rod and make the handle to fit and pin it . Both ways will work. If your going to braze it do it correctly it'll be strong as it was. It means grinding out some of the parts to insure will allow the braze to melt all thru with room for extra holding power.

[6]
[5] [7]