How to Machine This Part

Hi Guys,

I agree with welding this part back together and the comments about pre-heating and very slow cooling. I would drill a dowel hole in each part, to fit a hollow pin. Press the two parts together and grind a "V" all round for the weld fillet, and then when cold, finish to size by grinding.

I've done similar repairs and its not as easy as it looks, setting fire to the wooden handle is a hazard, so a wet cloth comes in handy here.

Is the a tool that can not be replaced at all?

If a simple clamp I suspect that a new one would cost less then fixing that.

Since it's almost a century old I doubt it. :)

What I would do is , I'd turn the head of the rod down. And I'd mill a handle close the original size dimensions . Turning the rod head down so the wall thickness and the diameter are fifty fifty. Without knowing dimensions I'm guessing 5/8"x the new handle diameter guessing 1 1/4" then I'd red locktite it together, and drill and pin together 1/8" pin works . Or slot the rod and make the handle to fit and pin it . Both ways will work. If your going to braze it do it correctly it'll be strong as it was. It means grinding out some of the parts to insure will allow the braze to melt all thru with room for extra holding power.

Back