How to make a die to cut way wipers?

martik777

Active User
Registered
How would you do this? I'm thinking of tracing it out on some ~1/4" steel them mounting on a rotab to get the angle and mill it out. Then make a punch to cut the hole.

wipers.jpgwipers2.jpgwipers.jpg

I'd cut the die on the mill first. Rotary table work unless you have CNC. Use a drill bit on location to rough the center hole area, move to the other locations with the RT and hand wheels and drill those. Then end mill work to the profile.

For the punch, I'd scribe the lines using the die as a pattern. I have a die filer which I'd use to get to the scribed line after rough milling close.

I'd also drill a hole in the punch for the screw hole and put an alignment pin in place.

In use, hand punch the screw hole and slip it over the pin in the punch. The punch out the felt.

Bruce

I just cut mine with a sharp Xacto style knife (I use Olfa) & a leather hole punch. Certainly not as nice of a job as the ones pictured but I get better at it each time I cut them since my first try. Still works well & no problems. My wipers are all just straight cuts though....just not very straight by me. :D

Img_2157.jpgImg_2178.jpg

Unless you want to cut out a large quantity, the Xacto knife and hand punch is the way to go, making dies to cut them is a waste of time.

Please excuse this ignorant question but is it that necessary to make perfectish if not "perfect" holes for the screws? I mean wouldnt it work just as well to poke small holes through with a sharp punch using the metal backing plate as the guide then push the bolt through enough to be held in place right before mounting back onto the machine?

Please excuse this ignorant question but is it that necessary to make perfectish if not "perfect" holes for the screws? I mean wouldnt it work just as well to poke small holes through with a sharp punch using the metal backing plate as the guide then push the bolt through enough to be held in place right before mounting back onto the machine?
Nothing precision in my mind for the hole size. Making a punch/die as John suggested above would be a good approach if you were planning on selling 100's of them on eBay. For a set of 4, X-acto knife on the felt. All it's doing is holding oil to wipe the ways. Tolerances are probably +/- close to 1/8".

To make a set of 4, I'd use my bench top 8" shear to cut the outside shape and my 4-ton corner notcher for the inside corner. Looks like the OP's wipers are at about a 75 deg. angle, but a 90 deg. cut would likely fit in the metal carrier and work fine.

Bruce

Thanks for the reply BG. I thought this was for personal usage not retail which would change my questioning of the holes in the first place.

Back