How to make a phenominal chatter generator.

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
1. Find some aluminium plate
2. Cut an eight inch circle from it
3. Drill a 12 mm hole in the centre
4. Fit a 12mm bolt and tighten
5. Clamp the bolt in the lathe chuck
6. Start taking a skim from the face of the circle traversing from the centre to the outside edge.

The noise is unbelievable, I kept cutting just to see what would happen. It ends up looking like you've made a scroll for a self centering chuck.
Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture.

The noise is unbelievable, I kept cutting just to see what would happen. It ends up looking like you've made a scroll for a self centering chuck.

Something like that requires a video, not just a photo. ;)
We all need to experience the musical song and the change in pitch as the tool sweeps the face of the disc.

-brino

Just suppose the lathe, and all that concerns it was rendered uttlerly rigid, and invincible by Hephaestus.
If you touch or scrape anything on that resonant disc, you will set up the father and mother of vibrations!

Take the disc, de-burr the circumference, clamp the bolt into a vise, and borrow a violin bow, (or knock up some fishing line thing with resin on it).
Sprinkle very fine powder on it (corn starch or something).
Bow it! Make all kinds of shriek. Check out the pattern of powder. It will settle into the non-vibrating nodes.
Or - check out the YT videos, where the high school science kiddies do it for you :)

Of course, if you still want to face the disc, or trepan a accurate smaller disc out of it, glue it it up against a plywood/MDF backing disc that will damp out the ability to vibrate.

[Edit: I just know you were readily aware of the risks this would happen! ]

[Edit: I just know you were readily aware of the risks this would happen! ]
Yes, I was. I tapped it when it was in the chuck and it rang like a bell.
I've made one of these for a muso friend some years ago
so am pretty well versed in resonance :laughing:

Ive done that that very loud and really annoying! cant imagine what it is like for you!

1. Find some aluminium plate
2. Cut an eight inch circle from it
3. Drill a 12 mm hole in the centre
4. Fit a 12mm bolt and tighten
5. Clamp the bolt in the lathe chuck
6. Start taking a skim from the face of the circle traversing from the centre to the outside edge.

Hmmmm ... if you use a very sharp pointy tool, you can probably put the finished plate on a record player and listen to the song again and again :)

Been there- done that... a 54 inch diameter inconel bell shaped airplane part will SHRIEK when being machined... unless it is well supported in a cage fixture.

Sometimes it sings pretty loud while in the fixture...

-Bear

Back