How to make a radius tool for the lathe?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
What is the best way to fabricate/grind a 5/64" radius cutting tool?
I want to duplicate this part the easy way.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• radius.jpg
    radius.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 29
Humm…don’t we all? I take my radius gauge and blue the end of a HSS stick, scribe and grind to the line.
I have a feeling this is not the easy way.

Edit: Actually I have a reasonable selection of Kennametal “top notch” inserts and a couple holders. The inserts are either rectangular grooving or radiused. So if the radius was not 5/64” exactly, I would just pick the closest, and done.095862D3-A342-444E-A6F5-E7CD41AA2741.jpeg

Last edited:
If you have a rotary table+chuck and a mill there are serveral ways to go. Straight 5/16 end mill: orient the RT so its axis of rotation is parallel to X. Plunge the EM into the corner then slowly turn the RT. Ball mill: orient the RT so its axis of rotation is parallel to Z. Plunge and rotate the RT.

So I guess, not having done either approach. But they look viable enough to me to try, if I need that shape.

If you have an RT you know this, but just to say it: you don't want to climb mill when using an RT. Well I don't, anyway :).

If you have a rotary table+chuck and a mill there are serveral ways to go. Straight 5/16 end mill: orient the RT so its axis of rotation is parallel to X. Plunge the EM into the corner then slowly turn the RT. Ball mill: orient the RT so its axis of rotation is parallel to Z. Plunge and rotate the RT.

So I guess, not having done either approach. But they look viable enough to me to try, if I need that shape.

If you have an RT you know this, but just to say it: you don't want to climb mill when using an RT. Well I don't, anyway :).
I have a 320# rotary table that sits on a shelf and gathers dust.
It’s probably only 90# but it’s awkward as hell to move.
I find reasons not to use it.
I think we’ve all learned the climb milling lesson on an RT :)

Jeff

Another way to make the radius tool is to turn a round cutter too size like you did to make the .210 dia form tool last month.
Jimsehr
just remember without clearance it will turn but not face unless you grind some back clearance.

Back