• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

How to Make a Tapered Slot?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Phil3

Active User
Registered
I need to make a tapered slot in the side of aluminum or steel round stock (work piece). See the pics. Ten of these are needed. They will fit to another piece which is not relevant to the problem at hand.

The round stock shown is 1" long if aluminum or 1.25" long if steel. The diameter is 1/2". The tapered slot is 1/8" wide and 1/4" tall on one side of the work piece. The slot tapers down to a 1/8" diameter hole on the other side of the work piece. The long sides of the slot are straight. The "floor" of the slot is round with a 1/16" radius. So is the "roof" inside the angled slot. I calculate the angle of the taper (top of slot) at 14 degrees, from horizontal, with the pin standing vertically as shown, but I could be wrong on that. The bottom of the slot is at 0 degrees from horizontal, with pin standing vertically as shown.

I can easily cross drill a 1/8" hole to make the bottom part of the slot. But making the tapered part stumps me. I could make a 14 degree wood triangle, angle the pin in the vise, and go at with a 1/8" endmill, but it would have to go in slightly further than 1/2" (due to slope of slot and resultant increased distance), and the endmill cutting surface is only 1/2" long. Even if it could reach as far as needed, I am nervous about breaking the endmill, even if in aluminum, much less steel.

My tools are a 1946 Southbend 9" lathe and a 1951 horizontal/vertical knee mill (Rotex, w/5 x 20 table).

Any ideas are welcome.

Thank you.

Phil

Attachments

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Your isometric view doesn't show us the taper....perhaps a cross section or two would help.

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
This is difficult geometry for conventional machining and would require a a 5 axis mill or WEDM.
If you have high surface finish and dimensional limits this will prove difficult to do manually.
The drawing shows a slot on one side and a round hole on the far side TB. It is also not symetrical.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
I would go about it on the mill. Reduce the shank on your 1/2” mill so you can go deeper without rubbing. I would do the angled hole first. Exactly how you said angle block under part in vise. Then put your piece horizontally and do the straight through hole with endmills. Then you can go side to side and get rid the f ridge between cuts. Make sure you pull up on depth to not cut tapered side. That’s what endmills are for. Very doable.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I've cut 1 inch deep with a 0.093 endmill, in tool steel without breaking it. So don't fret that too much. Light cuts and a steady hand. Normally something like this I would plunge cut with about a 20% stepover.

If you have a horiz/vert rotary table it would make life easier, but not required. I would make a fixture that holds the part and allows it to rotate around the hole centerline. Then after drilling the pilot hole, rotate a bit, plunge, rotate, plunge, rinse/repeat until you hit the stop at 14.0362°.

Could easily be done on a 3 axis CNC using a 1/8 ball end mill, but this also can easily be done on a hand cranked machine as I described above.

Last edited:

dennys502

Registered
Registered
Set it up on a vertical rotary table.

[6]
[5] [7]