How To Make A Wire Clamp Tool.

I have found that almost any wire will do depending on what you want to clamp. I have a tool that I bought few years back that can handle up to 4mm wire and you can just about cut a pipe with it but it is a bulky tool for smaller jobs.
David I like your's better mine is still a bit bulky ,,, back to the shop again.
I have one of these tools that is of the original generation; the preferred wire for the clamps is good "ole Oklahoma Silk" or plain old baling wire.

Almost 50 years ago a friend of mine showed me a tool like this. I made one shortly there after, before I had a lathe or mill. Very crude, but still works. Now I have the tools I need to make a refined version of it. Roger

Another observation is that the one that I have, mentioned above does not and never did have the forward pin shown in the pictures at the start of this thread, and it seems to work fine in spite of it. I also use Punch Lock clamps, but they do not seem to draw down and seal as well as the wire clamps, especially for small hose.

I've made wire clamps using a cheap pop rivet gun (pliers). Just twist the wire and leave a loop on the very end. Loop around your hose and thru the loop. Then feed the end of the twisted wire through the gun tip and pull it tight with the rivet gun handle... bend it back and clip. Should be easy to visualize. No where near as fancy and nice as this tool though, but if you already have a rivet gun handy, it works very well!

I like to see more on this one pop rivet gun, I have made 3 other version that work fine but not the pop rivet gun. many of my air hoses have been switched over to the wire clamp method as well as water hoses that neec to be clamped,. I carry one version in my offroad buggy.

I like to see more on this one pop rivet gun, I have made 3 other version that work fine but not the pop rivet gun. many of my air hoses have been switched over to the wire clamp method as well as water hoses that neec to be clamped,. I carry one version in my offroad buggy.

Not my original post, but I did a quick search and found these photos (post #68 on linked thread) on another forum. Hopefully it's ok to post the link here. I've also seen some really simple and effective one made by using plain metal tent stakes (metal rod is the same) with just a little bending and a couple holes. Very simple to make and work well also.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/273086-show-what-tool-you-made-7.html#post3251479

Back