How to Mount Chuck on Tilt Table

oskar

Registered
Registered
I want to mount my 3.25” OD Chuck (Taig Part #1030) to my Tilt Table. The chuck has 3/4-16 internal threads so I bought a 3/4-16 x 3 Feet long rod (along with some washers and nuts) which I will cut to length and mount the chuck as per attached pictures.

I wonder if my method is a good way to do this or perhaps there is a better way

54 Chuck Mount Tilt Table.JPG

54A Chuck Mount Tilt Table.JPG

54B Chuck Mount Tilt Table.JPG

I would dispense with the nut-lock washer-flat washer combination between the chuck and the table. I would want the back of the chuck to have as much flat contact as I could manage to the table, and the nut/washer combo there just messes things up and gives the opportunity to rock.

Depending on what I was going to be working on, I might put a layer of brown grocery bag paper between the chuck back and the table though. It really helps with giving a bit of grip if there is a concern that whatever operation might want to rotate the chuck. That can be really bad, depending on what the operation is.

A 3/4"-16 bolt would have worked too, but they're not as common at the corner hardware store.

-frank

I like your ideas Frank thanks and will go along with them. Yes 3/4-16 bolt would have been perfect but the closest I could find was this rod which KBC Tools sells at 3ft long pcs.

oskar there is a adapter for that, I ordered mine from sherline. ill try to describe it to you , if you cut the end off a3/4-16 threaded rod or bolt and drill a 3/16s hole through it, now countersink one end to accept a 10/32 socket cap screw. Now screw the adapter to the center hole on your tilt table, then screw your chuck on. Hope this helps Dave

Thanks Dave for the tip. I knew about the Sherline adapter but somehow I felt my way will be easier and stronger. Also Taig have another adapter but asking Nick Carter to get me one the shipping cost plus Duties was much more than the adapter.

I will think about what you say but so far it looks like my way is simpler.

BTW Frank and Dave since you are in Canada do you know any other place besides Lee Valley to buy Taig parts? Lee Valley (the only Taig dealer here) have a limited Taig parts and when you want to order anything else than they show on their web site you are talking about 2 months plus delivery

Hey Nicolas, no I'm afraid I don't. I only know about the Lee Valley offerings from seeing them in the store and catalogue (we have a store here). Other than that, I've never owned a Taig.

-frank

Nic, can't you just make an adapter like the Sherline one? Pretty simple if you can screwcut threads on your lathe.

Nicolas I got my lathe lee valley , But here in ON. the taig mill is sold by a company called Chipping away in Kitchener Also if you google Taig owners club there are a couple of suppliers of taig parts, acc. Both are good to deal with. Dave

Nic, can't you just make an adapter like the Sherline one? Pretty simple if you can screwcut threads on your lathe.

No Mike I’m not at that level yet.

I thought my idea with the 3/4-16 rod I got was the simplest.

Oh, okay. I also forgot you have a Taig. Have they sorted out how to cut threads on those lathes yet?

Back