How to oil Clausing Colchester oilers??

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
This is dumb practical question: What is the name / type of oiler that will work on the spring oilers in the roundhead carrage?
I have tried pressing with a standard oil can and all it does is squit oil all over. I am not sure any actually goes in.

I had an answer for you but now can't figure how to insert a PDF file. In any case, the oiler tip is 0.25" dia. The tip is beveled at 30 deg (60 deg included angle). The flat end of the tip is 1/8" dia. it has an 0.042" dia hole through the center. An 0.016 wide slit is cut across the flat end to a depth of 0.016". Thread the other end of the brass tip so that it will screw into or onto your squirt gun tip. And a photo would have been worth about 100 words!.

I had an answer for you but now can't figure how to insert a PDF file. In any case, the oiler tip is 0.25" dia. The tip is beveled at 30 deg (60 deg included angle). The flat end of the tip is 1/8" dia. it has an 0.042" dia hole through the center. An 0.016 wide slit is cut across the flat end to a depth of 0.016". Thread the other end of the brass tip so that it will screw into or onto your squirt gun tip. And a photo would have been worth about 100 words!.
Not bad, I'm pretty sure I could make it from those 100 words. In fact, I think I will.

This is dumb practical question: What is the name / type of oiler that will work on the spring oilers in the roundhead carrage?
I have tried pressing with a standard oil can and all it does is squit oil all over. I am not sure any actually goes in.

The above is the best I’ve found for brass Gitz oilers. It’s great. Remove the grease and fill with way oil

I made machined tips with a tiny O-ring superglued in them. The O-ring is larger than the ball. Set it on the brass ring and pump! Works great!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

If I am reading these descriptions correctoy the design is to seal the area around the spring valve and force oil through the spring seal. Is this correct? (My previous assumption was the oiler pushed the ball aside and allowed oil to flow around it. The two mechanisms are different in principle.)

I went out to the shop and determined that it is the Eagle No, 66 brass pump oiler or squirt gun that comes with a tip of similar shape to the one that I described yesterday. The two differences are that the 66 tip does not have the.016" by .016" slot and the 66 tip has a circumferential slot cut behind the tip which allows you to also use the 66 to put oil into an oil cup with spring-loaded cover. So the Eagle 66 Pump Oiler works with either type oiler or oil cup..

Several years ago, someone here did a project for making a 66 pump oiler. But I don't recall what Forum it was in.

Back