How to open a propane tank?

Here's an update: I'm still alive, first of all, not on rocket to moon.

First, I filled the tank with water thru the bullet hole, after struggling and failing to twist off the main valve (photo). Then, I plugged said hole with piece of bike rubber tubing. Then, in about a minute, I hacksawed off main valve (much easier than struggling with it!). Then, with tank full of water I used a metal cutoff wheel 4.5" on my cheapy HF angle grinder to grind off the top. It will be a while before I do anything else. I believe the way I proceeded was the safest. I could sure smell propane for days, even after filled with water. It's probably not a job for feint of heart. BTW, if you look carefully in the last photo of the tank open you can see the spent bullet. It only went thru the bottom. Also, I unscrewed that thingamagig, which was on pretty tight.

thu2222mbnail.jpg

thu3333mbnail.jpg

thum11111bnail.jpg

The last time I took the valve off a propane tank, it was still pressurized even after I opened the valve and it stopped releasing gas. When the valve unscrewed the tank shot about 20 ft and then spun around 3 or 4 times till the rest of the gas came out. So be careful.

all the dot tanks have a liquid level valve built into the pol valve. flat blade scew driver to loosen and expel

gas-grill-propane-exchange-tank-pressure-relief-valve.jpg

Back