How to preserve mill/lathe stored in unheated/unairconditioned garage

Probably not a welcomed idea, but you could move a drier climate.
Probably not a welcomed idea, but you could move a drier climate.

Well, I don't live in a "wet" climate. Pennsylvania is not exceptionally humid. It just happens that my house is built over a high water table- that is the reason for the humid basement, and not a reason for moving to a "drier climate". The info about the VPHP is offered as an easy and reliable, industry proven fix for the rusting problem. Just one of many choices, whether appreciated or not.

Well, I don't live in a "wet" climate. Pennsylvania is not exceptionally humid. It just happens that my house is built over a high water table- that is the reason for the humid basement, and not a reason for moving to a "drier climate". The info about the VPHP is offered as an easy and reliable, industry proven fix for the rusting problem. Just one of many choices, whether appreciated or not.

And the fact that my basement is humid (and subject to occasional mild flooding - like when it rains hard and the sump pump fails) was intended to show the effectiveness of the anti-rust properties of the product.

How about oiling and wrapping machines in an electric blanket? I live in a humid area and have used Corrosionx on my guns and tools for years and it's never let me down.

My shop is located in my barn. It is heated and air conditioned only when I’m in it. It may at times be left unused for a couple of weeks. I noticed then, a covering of rust would appear. So what I do now is, using a paint brush,I give everything I want to protect a coat of way oil. Since I started doing this I’ve had no problems with rust.

I have used Boeshield on some of my equip that lives in the tool shed. No room in the shop for it. Boeshield was developed by Boeing for preserving parts in storage. Kind of expensive at 18.00 for a spray can but worth it. Easy to apply, lasts about a year. Also use it on the big table saw. It's available at Amazon and I'm sure other places. Have yet to find any negatives using it

Ballistol is great because it does not attract dust. On moving parts, there's very little build up of gunk. I use it for storing and lubricating firearms and it's perfect for any tools with moving parts like my lathe.

No heat no air. I oil everything and run a ceiling fans year round. If you keep the air moving it keeps the condensation way down.

Good thread!
Sometimes, I do not get down into the shop for extended times... mostly in the summer when the AC business is 'very busy'... grin!

My shop is in the basement... technically part of living space (finished, insulated, included in the HVAC ducting)... however it does get humid down there in the summer. My solution is to put a portable de-humidifier in the shop area... set it at 40%... and let it run from about Easter until Halloween...
Long story short... it lowers the humidity in the shop to protect the machinery... and a bonus of about 10% lower RH in the whole house!
Note: even with the dehum... I still oil the bare metal on the machines every time I use them... 'cheap insurance'... grin!

Generally, I buy the models at the big box store which have a built in pump to move the condensate out...
So far, I get 3-4 seasons from a dehum... then just get a new one.
One of them... the pump broke. I put it on a small stool and put an AC condensate pump under it... worked for another year until the compressor quit.
Advise: Get a model with air filters, and clean them regularly... airflow over the coils is important!

Good thread!
... trimmed...
Advise: Get a model with air filters, and clean them regularly... airflow over the coils is important!
This is me headed into the basement to check our filter. Thanks for reminding me. Ours is going on 5yo.

Yeah...

Anything that pumps air... needs filters to stay clean and function at its designed efficiency...

Being in the heating and AC business... it is amazing how many folks ignore this simple reality... :(

Free advise: For the home system... a media style filter (special filter holding box, with a 4" or 5" thick filter element)... is a good investment.
Equipment lasts a lot longer, the house may be a little less dusty, and the air you breathe is cleaner (one sleeps better with cleaner air).
We prefer the 'AirBear' style filters (anything that takes an AirBear style 5" filter)... the simple reason is the filters are available from many manufacturers and cheap!
We generally let our customers order the filters and stock them... easier for us as we do not need to carry around lots of larger filters in the van... :)

Back