How to provide 480V 3Phase to drill press

Papa Charlie

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am looking at a Solberga Gear Head Drill Press (SE2035). It is setup for 480V 3 Phase.

What does it take to get 220V Single Phase to 480V 3 Phase and how much am I looking at to get it there?

Thanks for the help.

First check if the motor can be rewired for 220V instead of 480V. They often can.

If it can, then a VFD is a great solution.

Single phase 220V in -- three phase 220V out.

It appears as though it cannot be wired for 220V.

1603198299432.png

I don't believe the one I owned could be rewired to 220. Changing the motor also wasn't a reasonable option due to the integrated design. I gave it to a friend who is using a step-up transformer and RPC. It is a super nice machine.

What kind of cost am I looking at for the transformer and RPC?

I would find a forum dedicated to transformer or technical electrical discussion to get this.
For me, I may start with this or VFD, and I think it would work:
1. Find a 240 to 480v transformer with sufficient (with some leg room) output KVA for your equipment
2. If you can't find that, find 480v to 240v and maybe double the Kva rating, and also add an inrush current limiter (see https://www.ametherm.com/blog/inrush-current/transformer-inrush-current-40va-transformer)
3. Use a 3 phase motor (with higher horse power) and some run capacitors and start capacitors.
4. Wire them up.

As always, watch out for high voltage, everything needs insulation. A cutoff switch is important. Adding Fuse/circuit breaker also helps.
The ground wire for the step 2 above may need rewire.

The above is a start, research on each step would be needed, but it's not alot of research.

My friends shop had the RPC and he found the step down transformer surplus for cheap. If it was easy to do, I would have kept the press. I don't know if you could drive the step down xfrmr directly with a VFD. I think if you talked to someone who you were buying the VFD from you could ask? I had good help from Automation Direct when I needed support. Honestly, I don't feel confident that would work since the impedance of the transformer isn't only different from the motor but there is a damped coupling electrically speaking. Another pitfal is that you will need to limit the frequency to the 60hz position to keep the transformer working correctly. Since you have a geared head drill, I see no real reason to try variable speed anyhow.

im sure there are people around a lot smarter and more knowledgeable than I. I hope this helps you.

If you are set on getting the drill, my first thought would be to find a transformer and a 480V vfd. You can get the vfd on ebay for around $60 or so for a cheap chinese one or a decent used one. You could probably get a transformer on ebay for a similar price, or if you're feeling adventurous you can wind your own using a microwave transformer as a base. I did that to run a 240V 2hp motor on 120V before I ran a proper 240V line from the breaker.

Back