How to remove feed rod - Clausing 1956 13x36 Engine Lathe

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
The lathe is a 1956 'round head' 13x36 Engine Lathe. The power take off from the feed rod in the apron is very loose and needs repair. I can loosen the apron and drop it about 1/2 and inch on the out side. The inside barely moves. That does give access to feel the play in the gears, etc. The 'shoe' that rides on the feed rod and drives the gears is badly worn and needs repair. I believe if I can remove the feed rod this mechanism will be free to remove down and out.
Are there instructions somewhere on how to do this?
I recall something on draining the oil from the drive gear box and disconnecting the rod. The right end bearing retainer on this lathe is part of the casting so I will have to loosen the drive side and pull it out to the right. Does this all sound like the right path?
Thank you in advance, Dan

Whoops. If at first you don't ... I re-searched and found this:
Sorry for the duplicate. Dan

I got this far but now the path forward is not obvious. There are no obvious steps forward remove the feed rod. This is a 1957 with the two postion apron feed. I have a 1969 manual with the single postion apron feed and ti shows a pin connecting the feed rod to the drive mechanism, I am not sure that is the same for this one.
Any help appreciated. Dan
20220507_114915_1.jpg

In the video (post #2 in the linked thread) he disassembled the gear box to get the lead screw and feed rod out.

Yes. I have looked at that vidio muntiple times. That gear box had multiple cir clips; this one only has one. I will start to follow it and see it I get stuck. Thanks - Dan

It turns out it was more straight forward than first glance. I found a drawing from a similar machine, not identical but same vintage. The cone gears and shaft are 'held' in by threaded collar. Turning that 'pressed' the cone shaft out, to the right. That freed the feed rod and drive assembly. Once out I was able to identify the clutch mechanism and with a tap using a wooden rod as a drift free the feed rod from the cone shaft.
That exposed a future reassembly problem that I will post.
Thanks for tracking along.

i was given a Master like this (circa 1962) in pieces about 25 years ago.....the pieces were spread over three house ,and mixed in with a Weiler Condor ,also in pieces.......Both lathes were originally in an Air Force disposal store ,and the late Alan Chance bootlegged them out and took them home ......not as difficult as you might assume,because shortly after the Air Force closed the hardchrome dept that he ran,and he got most of the hardchrome stuff for $1,and was able to take the bed /stand etc off the base as hardchrome stuff.........the lathes were saved from Chances house after he died by a friend of mine ,and stored at his sons house for some years.....with the mechanicals at Rons house.....and parts possibly at another house where some of Chances hardchrome stuff ended up.......The complication there was this fellow had several Manx Nortons ,was very secretive,and would not allow a search for bits at his place.............neverthe less,I put the lathe back to working condition,but the Gamet bearings wernt in good condition,and had to replace the rear Gamet with an ordinary taper roller......the front Gamet is a double row ,and costly,but I found all the rollers and put it back together ...it has about .0004 runout.

I had assumed the feed rod was a two piece assy like most other lathes,and couldnt find the short stubshaft for the gearbox because I had Weiler bits mixed up ......then I noticed a long rod with a splined end leaning up against a post and the penny dropped......quite rusty on the end ,fortunately the spline was uppermost,and OK.........other missing parts were easily made .

Last edited:
Back