How to remove/install steady rest fingers

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I removed everything that made sense.
There is a pin in the knurled knob?
The brass ends that are currently installed have never been used, I have a new/old set of roller bearings I’d like to install.
Any ideas?
Thank you,
Jeff0ABF84A6-D198-42F9-B2B3-9FCD71482DAC.jpeg9A32536B-A454-441C-8F5D-531065C2E181.jpeg441091FD-49FE-45D5-8EF7-FB665A914360.jpegB83873AC-673B-4C9D-B731-7756D27D864A.jpeg

Does the keyed shaft spin within the the knurled knob section? I would think so. Is it threaded? Coarse adjust from the knurled knob and a fine adjust through screw in end of knurled knob?

Do the roller bearing shafts have a groove machined down their length to provide alignment? If so, they will not work with the existing knurled knobs.

Jeff , our Colchester steadies all have bearings and the keyed shaft does not rotate .

I may add they are sitting in front of me at the moment . I could take pictures with my cell phone but I have absolutely no idea how to load them onto the site . :grin:

IIRC the keyed shaft with the brass tip will unscrew from the knurled/threaded housing. Been a while since I swapped them on mine. I think that its a LH thread as well but not 100%sure

Jeff, if you are modifying the steady rest permanently, no easy return to the brass followers, then I suggest you consider it for a while first. Roller steady fingers certainly work, and lots of machinists like them. They do, however, roll on the work, which doesn't rub on the shaft (usually,) but it can crush grit into the work. The ones that rub can also have problems with grit getting under the fingers and then scratching the O.D. of the work around the circumference. The smart thing is to start with everything quite clean, and then keep it clean by keeping the swarf away from the fingers. That can be done with a larger piece of cardboard with a hole to slide over the work shaft, big enough to keep the chips and grunge from reaching the steady and the work. Both styles of fingers need to be kept clean and well lubricated while the work is spinning, even more so as speeds increase. FWIW, I like the brass tipped ones better, especially on softer work, like aluminum. I find them more multi purpose, and perhaps a little bit more rigid because they can be snugged down tighter than the ball bearings like, to help control chatter. The best answer is probably "both" if that is possible, and without compromising either.

Edit: the roller fingers can also take up space so that it effectively makes the maximum shaft size that will fit in the steady smaller.

Last edited:
+1 on what Bob said . They each have advantages and disadvantages . I've also used plastic ( possibly Delrin ) years back on the large cylindrical grinders . Not that it would most likely make any difference for a hobby shop , but you never want to run a steady on any kind of bearing journal or diameter needing a low rms finish . They all will score if they get contaminated .

God informative responses, as usual.
both sets are keyed and do not turn, they just slide in and out as adjusted.
the fingers are threaded (female) on the ends so the brass knobs must unscrew.
I was hesitant to gro on the knobs until I knew how they were attached.
There is a roll pin in the knurled section of the brass? Maybe i’Lloyd knock that out to see how it all works.
Interesting about the response on rollers or brass nibs. I too can see the advantages and disadvantages.
I don’t have a project in mind yet but I wanted to take it apart to clean and oil as needed.
Probably leave the brass installed.
It was missing the clamp piece, had to make that.2D97DDC8-62B5-41E7-AEC6-A34447405922.jpegE38723EC-1FC3-427D-B0A8-5894A0AC87BA.jpeg

Maybe this will help, they simply unscrew righty loosey/lefty tighty in this case.
If you are asking about how to remove the brass inserts IDK how they are affixed
The roll pin secures the threaded stud to the knurled housing
IMG_2700.JPG

That's it Steve.
The pin is used to replace the brass feelers. These must have been made when brass was cheap?
It's a one piece design.
When I unscrewed the fingers from the steady rest, it was not as smooth and lubricated as I would like to see.
Rusty, dirty oil in there.IMG_3797.JPGIMG_3798.JPGIMG_3799.JPG

Back