How to safely remove taper pins?

The rack and pinon on a 618 is hardly precision gearing. I wouldn't worry about bending. I popped mine off in less than a minute using gentle force. The teeth on the rack do not extend to the far side of the rack, leaving a gap that can be used with a pry bar to pull the pins. I used an offset screwdriver as a pry bar. A church key would also serve as a miniature pry bar. The pins are pressed into the rack and a tight slip/loose press fit in the lathe bed.
upload_2017-7-4_15-4-15.jpeg
upload_2017-7-4_15-13-5.jpeg

The teeth on the rack do not extend to the far side of the rack, leaving a gap that can be used with a pry bar to pull the pins

-I didn't notice that when I was removing the screws holding the rack yesterday (I did not get the pins out then and just put the screws back in). So I just learned something, lol! Thanks for that. I got several answers to this question with most indicating that removing the rack was okay, and one fellow saying I could bend the rack in the process. Considering Clausing's prices for those parts that it DOES still have, I sure don't want to pay them for a NOS rack and I have yet to see one being offered up for sale on ebay for this lathe. I may give this another try going at it very gently. If I see any signs of the rack not wanting to come loose I'll just give up on the idea.

Back