How To Secure A T Handle?

Remove the cross arm, drill a hole in the end, through the cross arm hole and about 1/2 in deep beyond that. Insert small spring and ball bearing, turn a groove in the center of the cross arm, Insert cross arm until ball bearing intersects groove. adjust dimensions to fit sourced materials.

Like some of the T handle tap holders. A good idea.

I also prefer/vote for a set screw.

Img_1154.jpg

I thought the set screw was a good idea so off to the shop I went. An hour or so later I'm back to wow that darn thing is HARD! I was able to drill the end of it. The tap wouldn't start even a tiny bit. So, I oversized the hole from a 25 up five numbers. I was trying to use a 10-24 set screw. Well once I finally got the tap to start it only took me about 90 seconds to break it off. I hate ending a day like this... :(

Damn, that sucks, are you able to get the broken piece out? Being hardened probably explains why that knurling didn't do it job to hold it in. IIRC my chuck keys only have the tips/front section hardened.

The tap is stuck in the part. I thought about making a completely new part but until my mill arrives it would be difficult to machine the flats on the tip. I think it is also time for me to learn about hardening steel so I can work a part like this and then harden it once the machine work is done.

Jim

Do you have access to TIG? If the tap is HSS you may be able to alloy it right into the part and then redrill it. It will then be easier to tap as you will disrupt the hardening. I have done this several times with success. If the tap is too far into the hole this won't work. A carbide tip drill would be helpful.
R

I made one a while ago. I had to turn the cross arm down to size though, so I opted to leave the center part a few thou larger in diameter, the same width as the body. That way I could slide any end of the t-handle through the hole in the body up to the slightly larger middle section. I then simply pressed it in until it was perfectly centered. While it can be removed again if I wanted to, it sits pretty tight and works very well.

Back