How to split drill point!

ZombiWelder

Registered
Registered
I posted before about good uses of harbor freight circ saw blade sharpener, but I found an extra use I thought might be worthy, you can split twist drill point grinding against the wrong side of the blade, spinning dust in your face. It ain't much of it though I wore safety glasses and didn't feel any grit on my face thanks to diamond blades. Just grab a fresh large bit and sort of try that split point back grind or whatever the right name is against the disk until it fits. I had good results with 5/8", 1/2" and even smaller bits. I don't think I'm gonna be predrillin for 5/8 and less unless it's a critical hole.

20180903_203632.jpg

20180903_200810.jpg

Reactions: Z2V
Nice job on grinding the split points. HSS has cobalt in it, try not to breathe the dust, wear a protective mask if necessary.

Thank you! I've been a cowboy about health hazards.
Something to note I read on practical machinist all kinds of fear mongering about using diamond wheels on hss. No problems whatsoever, after 6 months of steady use inmho as long as you don't get it hot you perfectly fine.

I've never been concerned about grinding HSS using diamond wheels. In fact my four facet drill grinder uses one, and thats had some hammer since I built it. I went through just about every drill I had in a sharpening frenzy. I too thin the drill webs using the wheel edge, but I can reverse the motor direction, so getting dust thrown in my face isn't an issue.

Back