How to trim a 14" cut off disk down to 12"?

extropic

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a 14" abrasive cut off saw and had an accident while cutting something freehand (not clamped).
The piece got away from me, wedged into and stalled the disk.
The disk is substantially damaged for about 1/2 of it's circumference and up to about an inch deep.
The disk is .105" thick, conventional reinforced configuration for cutting steel.

Is there is a reasonable method of trimming the diameter down past the damage?
It's not worth more than $10 to salvage it but, I'd like to save it if practicable.
Any suggestions?

I know there is substantial risk in cutting an un-clamped work piece. I wouldn't recommend it.

The safe thing to do is through it away. That being said I've used them in what I think is the same condition to cut heavy sections, ie large round stock or solid square. They wear back past the damage fairly fast. Wouldn't attempt cutting anything thin like angle or flat bar where it could bounce and catch.
Stand off to the side and wear body armour if you have it.

Greg

There strong and built to take it just go slow till it wears even again . If it bugs you put a concrete block under and grind away.

The damage and resulting imbalance are too extreme for me to just grin-and-bear-it.
The concrete block idea sounds like it's worth a try.

I’ll have to say throw it away. Is it worth $10 to take the chance that it will come apart, it is already damaged. That’s just my way of thinking, better safe than sorry, especially over $10

So far so good.
I decided to try using a Type 27 depressed center abrasive disk in an angle grinder (AG) to remove the unwanted material.
I remounted the damaged disk in the cut off saw and left it un-powered.
Next, I held the edge of the AG disk (running) against side of the damaged disk at a radius that would remove all damage.
The two arbors were kept at 90° to each other and the friction from the AG disk caused the cut off disk/saw arbor to rotate.
If the cut off disk got running to fast, IMO, I released the contact pressure between the two disks.
After one side was about 1/2 way through, I switched to the other side.
That reinforcing mesh is surprisingly strong/tough material. Good thing.
After the damaged disk was essentially round again, I turned the cut off saw on and brought the face of the AG disk (running) against the edge of the cut off disk which dressed it nicely.
I ended up (so far) with a cut off disk just over 11" in diameter.
The described process is quite messy so I did it outside.
I wore a dust mask, goggles over safety glasses and hearing protection.
YMMV.

PS: Thanks to all that replied.

Last edited:
I would still throw it away. It's been damaged and you really don't know if it's damaged further in toward the arbor. What if someone borrows it from you and it comes apart on them with them in front of it? Not worth the risk, IMHO

Back