How to turn offcenter barrel?

Some Ballards have a reversible firing pin. The one I have and the one I considered buying were center fire only.

Is the breech block of the typical 2 piece construction? If so, I think making the modification there has got to be your best bet.

Stan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if it is right or wrong but I've watched several manufacturers chuck the barrel blank between centers and machine the exterior of the barrel. They chucked a hunk of aluminum in a 3-jaw chuck, turn a 60° angle on the aluminum. Now that center is concentric with the center of the lathe. Chuck the barrel between these and then cut the exterior of the barrel.

Yes , two piece breech block. My idea was to have one rifle I could shoot with one barrel and then switch to a center fire barrel .

Ah, ok. Switching back and forth does make it a little trickier.
You could emulate the Ballard reversible firing pin, hard part would be to make the switching external. Seems that the T/C Contender had a switchable firing pin in the breech face. Might be worth a look for ideas.

I have a contender, I will take a look at it this evening. Can't remember if it's centerfire only.

Stan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you drill the receiver and add a second firing pin ? With a pin thru the side to hold it in . Not a hard job I don't think . It would mean removing the other pin or make a new block with the pin offset .

pope made a high wall that had an eccentric for a hinge pin. turn it one way and it lowered the breach block to fire rim fire. turn it the other and it would fire center fire. .

Back