How to Turn Square into Round

oskar

Registered
Registered
I want to make a disk 2” OD x 1/2” thick from a 2.2”x2.2”x1/2” aluminum flat stock. This is my first time I use my mini Taig to turn and to get the hang of it I use a piece of MDF. In the attached picture the cutting tool is a carbide insert tool I bought as a set (6 of them all identical with a triangular shaped tip). I have no other turning tools but I’m expecting some materials to arrive soon and I will grind my own.

Is the setup acceptable or there is a better way to do this work?

What kind of a tool will be the best for this job?

Compound Slide Setup1.JPG

If you have a bandsaw (or even a hack saw) to knock the corners off, you would save some turning time, but other than that you are doing it exactly the same way that I would.

Best tool? What you have should work fine.

Just a suggestion, get in the habit of removing your drill chuck from the tailstock. I don't know how many times I've drawn blood from a drill or center drill.

I find simply removing the drill bit takes 95% of the problem out of the way.

I use the Aloris morse taper tool holder to do drilling etc. and rarely remove the center from the tailstock.

One other thing to be mindful of when starting with a square piece on the lathe is that it can really tighten your chuck onto your spindle if you happen to have a threaded-nose spindle.
When you first start turning and begin knocking the corners off its almost like an impact wrench effect with the sharply interrupted cut. If you have a threaded chuck, this can really tighten it onto your spindle and make removing the chuck difficult later. Taking a few minutes to knock the corners off the blank first on the sander or bandsaw like Jim says can really help mitigate this.

-frank

Last edited:
In the recent past I turned 1 1/2" square bars to 1" round for a length of 8" on a 30" long part, 20 parts in total.
304 SS stock, it took 14 hours and about $300.00 worth of carbide inserts to knock the corners off with any speed.
If at all possible avoid interrupted cuts.

That’s encouraging Jim and I was planning to cut off the corners but I forgot. For sure I will do it on the aluminum.

Good point Tom. The drill chuck should not be there

Thanks

Back