How To Use These Levelers' Grooves

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
I have several vintage levels that have a groove on the bottom. OK, I can understand that these were meant to be put onto something where you just move the level across.

However, exactly WHAT would be that something that the levels would be slid across, especially when the groove dimensions are not universal amongst different levels?

Below are pics of my Starrett and Stanley levels.

20190512_161216.jpg
20190512_161246.jpg

Your help in educating me/other members is greatly appreciated :)

Susan

yeah, think of it as a V-block incorporated into the level. the V angle, width, and depth aren't all that important as long as there's basically a V-shape there.

To level shafts or other cylindrical features. The V makes sure the level is aligned with the axis of the shaft.

For leveling old fashioned line shaft and counter shafting; been there, done that. Like your levels!

All of my experiences were with industrial electrical systems. So, leveling conduit runs is the first thought in my mind. The same thought would apply to any number of crafts, piping (water, hydraulic, etc), line shafting and any construction involving tubing (millwrights), and any other craft involving a circular object, not just tubing.

The "V" notch is to insure alignment with the longitudinal dimension of the object in question. It can be found on most levels of construction grade or better. I have a six foot mason's level that does not have one. But then, that level isn't used for more than verifying floors and walls and the like. Most every other level does have one. It has paid off in many unexpected jobs.

When using a high grade level you really don’t want to slide it. That could cause surface marks and or start to wear its reference surface(s). Instead, just pick it up off whatever and relocate it. But yes, sometimes this is unavoidable and scooting is done. If you have ever been in a high end metrology lab you will not see and sliding levels. If you do that person will be looking for another job.

Back