How to Wind a Coil Spring on the Metal Lathe

I need help from the mathamaticians here. It's been too long since school.
I need to input this formula into Excel:Can someone translate what the brackets in the formula mean? I have defined pi. D,na, and cos as cells in the spreadsheet but can't figure out what the brackets represent.

Thanks,
Chuck

length_wire.gif

Chuck,

Those are just brackets. Do the stuff inside the brackets first, then multiply by πD.

Tom

[SUP]Thanks Tom, got it working. Now comparing calculations from various sources and will select some values for springs to make to verify accuracy.

Chuck
[/SUP]

Kevin,

The whole idea of this technique along with the wire guide, is to make it safe to wind springs under power. There is no reason for your hands to be any where near the winding process. In fact, you could just start the lathe and walk away and it would still produce a good spring. I did guide the end of the wire in the video to keep it from tangling, but I was using a pair of pliers. Even that wouldn't be necessary if the guide was made longer.

Thanks for posting the machining links, there are a number of them that are new to me. The spring link however is the one I was referring to in the video.

Tom

If you need that special coil spring for a project that you just can't seem to find anywhere, here's a short video I put together that shows how to make it.

Tom

[video=youtube_share;i1x5_S0Pq4k]http://youtu.be/i1x5_S0Pq4k[/video]

Thanks again for posting this video Tom. I made your spring winding tool and a mandrel last night and it worked like a charm...

I identified a few months back that I needed a softer intake valve spring for my J.E. Howell Farm Boy hit and miss engine. I held off all this time since I found spring winding to be hit and miss (pun intended). I would make 4 or 5 springs and end up with one good one... That is until this morning...

I made one spring using your method and it was perfect on the first try! The engine runs even better now!

Great method!

Cheers!
John

If you need that special coil spring for a project that you just can't seem to find anywhere, here's a short video I put together that shows how to make it.

Tom

[video=youtube_share;i1x5_S0Pq4k]http://youtu.be/i1x5_S0Pq4k[/video]

Thank you Tom,this a brilliant demonstration of making a spring. I am defiantly going to try this method.

If anyone comes by who can update the link to the video, in this ancient thread, I'd like to watch it. I can't make the posted link work. :)

Back