How to wire my switch to the motor?

bnelson1980

Registered
Registered
Hello there,

Looking for some help here. I just installed the brand new 3HP 3 phase motor on my Sharp LMV50 mill. I got it without a motor or cooling fans. I am wondering how to wire the new switch to the motor and also wire the fans. I have a rotary phase converter that I will be using when I get to powering the motor. Here are some pictures. Any help is appreciated.

D2C04BD0-3AF7-4BF5-988A-7BB3356EED97.jpeg

ADF0A9DC-90B9-40C5-8E92-FF3BF35F3202.jpeg

8D8366EB-2189-4E80-A5AF-A719E5BA116B.jpeg

If it’s a six lead motor it looks to be wired for 480 you can google 6 lead motor diagram 208 assuming you’re wiring for 208 and it’s a six lead

Basically it's 3 and 3. 3 wires from rotary to switch and 3 from switch to motor, plus ground. There should be a diagram on the motor or available from Sharp (online)? You need to verify the motor is connected internally for the voltage you are supplying it.
If the rotation direction is opposite the switch handle then interchange any 2 motor wires.
Mark

You would wire the motor per the nameplate sometimes under the cover, this looks like a 9 lead (there are two motor connection leads on left terminals and T4-6 to the buss bar on the right) and should be a typical connection for low voltage (230V), power in would connect to the three terminals on the left of your picture, plus ground. If the motor runs in the wrong direction, reverse any of the two wires connected to the motor.

You do not have an electric fan blower on this model, only the digital head model has an electric fan and the two separate fan leads (120VAC) have separate connections, I have digital head model. The dual fans for the head (Reeves drive only) you would need to check the fan voltage and wire accordingly, you would want the drive fans to only operate when the motor is running.

9 lead.jpg

Last edited:
Back