How would you make this?

I just did some milling on MDF. I needed to cut the profile of a part I was making. Sometimes I do this by placing the stock on top of 1-2-3 blocks or thick parallels on their side but this time the stock was too large and awkward for that. Just used some wood screws to hold down the stock to the MDF and then clamped the MDF to the table. I ran a DTI accross the back edge of the stock to square things up as I clamped the MDF
PXL_20230526_013601270.jpgPXL_20230526_212337371.jpg

Great ideas, here. I think this is going to be easier than I was anticipating, now that I have some ideas on how to think outside the box.

Thanks, guys.

Got a feeling that would not be cost effective.
It depends.
I had one place cut some 3/4" with a little close to the same linear inches as yours, including the material was $120 for 3 of them.
A different place charged me $60 for 4 pieces of 1/4" stainless with close to the same linear inches. Including the material.

Reactions: tjb
Mat'l is thin enough, I'd just bolt MDF to the rotary with counterbores/flat heads, then use double sided tape to mount the aluminum.

Then do everything on the rotary, making sure to use a down cutting end mill. Either make the MDF just like the part or cut it at the same time as the first aluminum part.

All rotary + X axis (or Y)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I had often times thought about making an over arm pressure plate for my rotary tables using a live center or a combination of 3 equally spaced rollers. Just hadn’t gotten a round tuit.

It depends.
I had one place cut some 3/4" with a little close to the same linear inches as yours, including the material was $120 for 3 of them.
A different place charged me $60 for 4 pieces of 1/4" stainless with close to the same linear inches. Including the material.
I think you are right regarding the cost especially as the material cost is included in the waterjet price. To process a 4x2 sheet of about 18 finished components would be less than an hours chargeable labour time.
If you purchase a sheet and cut the blanks yourself this is extra labour time, or pay your material supplier to cut them and don't for get the delivery cost of the sheet or blanks.

If you machine them, consider all the operations and times including:

Unwrapping the sheet or blanks.
Cutting the blanks.
Making the fixture.
Setting the machine.
Loading the part.
Machining the part.
Deburring the part.
Cleaning down the machine.

The material is only .040" thick?
I'd clamp several sheets together between two MDF plates. Then machine it all as one bunch. Thin aluminum will not want to lay still as you cut it.

Reactions: tjb
The material is only .040" thick?
I'd clamp several sheets together between two MDF plates. Then machine it all as one bunch. Thin aluminum will not want to lay still as you cut it.
Yes, I'm hoping to machine 4 - 6 at a time. The measurements are metric. I'm waiting on a metric annular cutter for the large hole and 5mm center cutting end mill for the slots. We should be up and running early next week.

Thanks for responding.

Regards

Yes, I have the bolt circle feature on my DRO as well, but I agree it'll be much easier to just move along the X-axis since I can easily determine the radii. I don't think you're missing anything on the movement on the clamps - unless we both are. I can't visualize any easier way to set up the process. The ONLY possible streamlining I can think of is stacking three or four pieces at once and milling them together. That may be worth a try. Thoughts?

Regards
If I understand what you are asking, tyou need to mill the outer diameter? Can you, once you have the center holes cut, use a few of them to hold the piece? I may not be picturing this correctly....

Back