How would you pronounce this?

220 millionths to machinists, who do not properly use the term hundred thousandths. It is not 2.2 ten thousandths, it is .22 ten thousandths, a goofy way to articulate it (for a machinist.) That is a wonderful old indicator, Federal was one of the best brands in those days. Federal made lots of special indicators for special uses by special customers. I have a couple myself...

I am pretty sure this indicator would never get a steady reading on anything in my shop. That is amazingly sensitive!

Winegrower -- I'm with you. I'd have to get lower Manhattan to come to a stop first!
Tim

220 millionths to machinists, who do not properly use the term hundred thousandths. It is not 2.2 ten thousandths, it is .22 ten thousandths, a goofy way to articulate it (for a machinist.) That is a wonderful old indicator, Federal was one of the best brands in those days. Federal made lots of special indicators for special uses by special customers. I have a couple myself...
Bob,

You’re right that it is 220 millionths, but you misplaced a decimal somewhere in converting it to ten thousandths. 220 millionths is 22 one hundred thousandths or 2.2 ten thousandths or 0.22 thousandths or .00022". I may be wrong to refer to it as 2.2 “tenths”, but then I'll have to plead internet ignorance. All I know about machinists’ measurements I learned off the internet, mostly this forum, and we all know the internet is never wrong. ;)

Tom

I think of the numerals as fractions of a thou so .2 thou, .4 thou and so on.
So the total range is 1.6 thou correct?
mark

You’re right that it is 220 millionths, but you misplaced a decimal somewhere in converting it to ten thousandths. 220 millionths is 22 one hundred thousandths or 2.2 ten thousandths or 0.22 thousandths or .00022". I may be wrong to refer to it as 2.2 “tenths”, but then I'll have to plead internet ignorance.
Yes, 2.2 tenths would also be useful.

Back