Howdy folks!

j_zuilkowski

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I joined years ago, but have been busy moving and such.

So anyway, last week I hit quite an incredible score at a local school system auction.

I picked up a 12" Craftsman Commercial for $100, and a 618 for $125 with what looks to be a full set of change gears.

Both had only seen school use, and the wear is almost nonexistent. Lots of surface rust from storage, but I expect that will be a fairly easy cleanup.

IMG_0552[1].JPG
IMG_0553[1].JPG
IMG_0549[1].JPG
IMG_0551[1].JPG

Well, I guess we know what's going to fill your evenings and weekends for a while.....

Hopefully it's all superficial surface rust that comes off easy.

I see one chuck on each lathe. Did you manage to get any more?
Are they the same spindle nose, and therefore interchangeable?

Congrats on the "new" equipment!

-brino

Nice score, you most definitely suck. ;)

Cheers,

John

Well, I guess we know what's going to fill your evenings and weekends for a while.....

Hopefully it's all superficial surface rust that comes off easy.

I see one chuck on each lathe. Did you manage to get any more?
Are they the same spindle nose, and therefore interchangeable?

Congrats on the "new" equipment!

-brino

No more chucks no, but I have others already. And no, not the same size either.

Both had only seen school use

Unfortunately that is usually the worse use a machine can see (watch some tubalcain videos)

I would examine them very closely before deciding to restore them. They are both missing some parts (the 12" more so than the 6") and the bull gear looks damaged on the 12". You might want to figure out the one that needs the least and part the other one out to pay for parts/more tooling for the one you keep.

The bull gear is a bit munched, but that's it so far as I can tell. I have several of those. I don't have a bed grinder however :D

Back