Howell motor howelling

dlane

Active User
Registered
Haven’t taken motors apart with much success in the past, this Motor came off a clausing dp. It starts fine sounds good for a minute then starts kinda howling. It’s been sitting for about 10years the PO said , I put a couple drops of spindle oil in the oil ports but still howells after a while. Any suggestions, advice
Thanks
55BB83C2-438D-4E3F-B466-15A9ECC17265.jpeg

Sounds like bearing replacement time, or at least clean and inspect. I've had pretty good luck doing this. Mike

Bushed bearing will glaze over not allowing for oil to do it's job. Try to deglaze them with scrotch brite. If they are ball bearings the grease may be hard. Pop the seal on them clean and squirt some new lube in.

You've got Mr. Howell, where's Gilligan? :p
Seriously, it looks like it has ball bearings and they're probably petrified and/or rusty and those oilers are probably gunked up
That motor looks identical to the Atlas Super Power motor on my mill-

It’s just a 1/2 hp 1725 rpm , I’ll try a little prying and some heat, if no go I’ll make a split plate with a hole and jack screws.
If I pull it apart what to look out for ? , are things going to come flying out of it ? , what probs to look for inside ?
I was going to bring it to a motor shop but nothing close by.

Nothing should come flying out, just be careful not to damage the centrifugal switch parts inside. Take off the end opposite the pulley first.
Mark

If the end covers are hard to separate I'd guess there rusted to the bearing . After getting the end off watch where the wires are and be careful pulling the armature out don't hit the windings if they short it's pretty much done unless you have the varnish used to seal the wires . With the capacitor it may not have a centrifical switch. The bell housing on the ends may just need a little non marking hammer tonks to remove them. I'd spray the shaft with kroil penetrating oil .

I'm pretty sure that's a ball bearing motor with a common size bearing. Replace them with good quality double seal (2RS) of the same size and forget about them for about 20 years.

Thanks all , today was painting day for some of it “ace medium gray” now I just have to get all the paint off of me:rolleyes:.
The motor is on the list for next week, letting the blaster soak in a bit.

Edit: this google dictionary is crap, I think it’s from other country’s

Last edited:
Back