Howto sharpen reamers.

rac1812

Registered
Registered
Got a number of small reamers in a bottom drawer that got rattled around by PO....... I would like to use them but they could use a good sharpening....... then I can build a proper wooden stroring drawer........ Is there a practical way of sharpening them???..... size ranging from 1/8 to about 3/8.

I am a newbie working with an Atlas 618.

Last time I asked a question on sharpening I finished by building my own belt grinder...told my wife it was all your fault!!

Bob C.

you could try to lightly stone them, but they may cut undersize after

So possibly a flat fine grit diamond plate........ and carefully do each flute ....... that should keep me busy..... almost means a close inspection with a magnifying glass ....looking for nicks!!! Ayee!!!!!

I woulden't worry about small nicks. A nick will just leave a high spot in the reamed surface. The way a reamer is used, another part of the reamer will catch it. You need to look for dulled cutting edges as evidenced by a reflection off the edge.

You can, sort of, sharpen reamers. Like most things in life, "it depends". I encourage you to research the different style of reamers. There is more to most reamers than is obvious just by casually looking at them.

If it is dull all the way up the flute, then after sharpening, they will cut undersize, which for some tasks is what you may be wanting to do (depends on the job).

Some reamers cut mainly on the steep bevel at the entry end of the reamer. Those ones you can re-cut (whether grinding or stoning, it depends on how much you are intending to take off) just that leading bevel, then you only change the length, not the cutting diameter.

Guy Lautard in one of his books describes a jig for stoning straight flute reamers.

Those are pretty small reamers - not a lot of money there. Just purchase replacement ones as you need them.

the only part of the reamer that you sharpen is the tip that has the small angle on it. .although some reamers have a reduced of on the end if you sharpen the flutes you will change the size of the reamer. the angle is around 45 degrees with a relief angle. this will take special tooling. that means you can always need a new tools.

chipper 5873 replied as i was typing when i posted my reply then his appeared sorry for the duplicate message

Bob, I see a new tool grinder build in your future, you can tell the wife that “ we made you do it” .

Like Bob said, they aren’t that expensive. However, this could be a great time to give a try, and attempt sharpening (maybe just) one and see how it goes. I’d love to hear what you did and how it went. A great learning experience. I’d try a fine diamond plate I think. Slow and easy. Not too much coffee!

Back