HP for D1-4 cam lock

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
What are the HP lathe sizes for the D1-4 cam lock setups?

The spindle size is more of the determinant. Offhand, I'd guess you could find lathes from 1.5HP to 10HP with a D1-4 chuck mount, with 3HP to 5HP being most common.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That's interesting....

Aukai, good question, we do see some D!-5 and D1-6 spindles provided on some smaller lathes. So I have often wondered what the limits of the D1-4 were.

Good question, Aukai. I always thought that the camlock size was related to the size of the spindle and the weight it was able to support. For example, my Emco Super 11 has a D1-4 camlock. It has a 2" diameter spindle running in the front P6 spindle bearing. It can handle up to 99# unsupported and 176# with tailstock support. My lathe has 2HP but that is not as important as the weight bearing capacity of the spindle. Granted, 99# of unsupported weight isn't that much compared to larger lathes but this spindle should be able to handle that while maintaining the run out specs it has. To support more weight, this lathe would need a bigger spindle, bigger bearings and a bigger camlock, I think.

I see, I'm invested in D1-4s for now, and at the moment I'm not impressed with my 3/8" drive belt.

From what I can see on the market these days D1-4 is common on many new lathes.

Single belt PM 1228, I have only been using the machine for a couple/few months, and one belt is history. I'll have to see how this 2nd one does....

Single belt PM 1228, I have only been using the machine for a couple/few months, and one belt is history. I'll have to see how this 2nd one does....
Perhaps a Gates high-end v-belt. XL or something might do the trick.

Back