Hss Lathe Bit Sharpening Jig

prasad

Active User
Registered
Group,

My attempts to sharpen HSS bits on my bench grinder were complete disasters. I think I need a jig that would help me hold the bit at required angle(s). Is there a design? I have plenty of scrap aluminum stock that I can use to fabricate using my mini-mill and 9x20 lathe. Please help me find one.

Thanks
Prasad
Wynnewood PA

The first tool I made as an apprentice (back in 1972) was a fixture to hold 3/8 lathe bits for grinding a threading tool, but it needs a surface grinder to do the grinding. I don't have one, (surface grinder) so my fixture is useless to me.

I find it easier to hold the bit being ground in the tool holder. The larger surfaces give you a better idea (and better control) of the angles. You also don't have to worry about heat buildup burning your fingers. If your grinder has a larger table, you can clamp a guide edge on the table to grind more accurate angles.

IIRC, MrPete222, AKA TubalCain on YouTube has a video series on how to grind lathe tool bits; he also has one on on grinding threading bits using a jig. His videos are very instructional, take a look if you haven't seen them.

Group,

My attempts to sharpen HSS bits on my bench grinder were complete disasters. I think I need a jig that would help me hold the bit at required angle(s). Is there a design? I have plenty of scrap aluminum stock that I can use to fabricate using my mini-mill and 9x20 lathe. Please help me find one.

Thanks
Prasad
Wynnewood PA
===========================================================================

You may be able to go this route --- John

http://www.ebay.com/itm/South-Bend-...768?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53eca43fc0

I have several jigs I've made over the yrs. to sharpen various tools. I have also ground a lot of them by hand too. The one I use most is one for regrinding a radius parting blade. a radius dresser and a surface grinder makes that chore an easy task now.

The link does not seem to work for me. Just got a better grinder now I need to build me something to help (a little shaky at times) with grinding tools.

Thanks, That worked. I may have to build one like that, But make some holders so that I am not trying to hold the tool by itself, Keep burning fingers a bit.

Back