Hss Lathe Bit Sharpening Jig

The first tool I made as an apprentice (back in 1972) was a fixture to hold 3/8 lathe bits for grinding a threading tool, but it needs a surface grinder to do the grinding. I don't have one, (surface grinder) so my fixture is useless to me.
Could you post a picture of it?

I think I need a jig that would help me hold the bit at required angle(s). Is there a design?
Here is a design I copied when I had the same issues as you...works like a charm: http://www.ldrider.ca/cnc/lathe-tool-jig/lathe-tool-jig.htm

I won't embarrass myself and show you my version as it is as gawd-awful crude as can be (was a quick throw-together "prototype" out of whatever limited material I had laying around...that was 6 months ago and I'm STILL using it!:dejected:)

Look up a thread titled " nos,nib SB lathe tool sharpening jig " can't figure out how the link thing works yet

Group,

My attempts to sharpen HSS bits on my bench grinder were complete disasters. I think I need a jig that would help me hold the bit at required angle(s). Is there a design? I have plenty of scrap aluminum stock that I can use to fabricate using my mini-mill and 9x20 lathe. Please help me find one.

Thanks
Prasad
Wynnewood PA

Thank you guys. I received many useful replies. I am studying them. I have my next question on this topic. I have a bench grinder and a belt/disk sander. Which is better and why? Bench grinder has two wheels - coarse and fine - which one is good for HSS lathe bits?

Thank you in advance
Prasad
Wynnewood PA

I have a bench grinder and a belt/disk sander. Which is better and why?

I would say all of the above. I have the same equipment and use all of them to grind tools, depending on the shape I want. For faster metal removal rate (roughing out) use the course wheel, use the finer wheel for finishing. I probably use the disk sander the most.

Back