HSS Lathe blanks

I want to say yes. I notice how often I have to touch up a tool. I find the higher quality takes heavier cuts (hotter) w/o dulling as easy. When I started I used mostly small tooling, but as I started to realize, heavier tools take heavier cuts, don't heat up as badly, don't chatter as much. But related to quality is how often I need to touch up the edge. The lower quality tools don't hold the edge as long. Price is not the only reflection of quality. There are a few low cost HSS tools that can compete with the brand names, but I buy a lot of my tooling at Garage sales and the farm show I was just at. I paid $2 for MoMax this past weekend at the farm show. Also many times it's already got a shape to it, and only needs touching up. Sometimes I get blanks (perfect). I'll add to the list when I get home, as 2 of the brands I look for are gone from my brain right now.

Does it matter where I order HSS 3/8 lathe bit blanks? Is there any difference in quality? Where would be the best price?

This will be for a 12" Logan

I feel that for the average hobby guy who isn't pounding out parts every day, a reasonably priced Chinese tool bit is fine. M2 bits will do for most work and they are the cheapest. Cobalt bits are available in 5, 8 and 10% formulations. Like their M2 counterparts, you won't know the formulation of these bits really is because it isn't documented anywhere but I suspect you won't be able to tell; they work well enough.

If you are nervous about the quality aspect, buy the house brand from one of the big supply houses like MSC or Travers. WE don't know what these bits are made from but you can bet the supply house does and they will not use a crap bit as their house brand. For example, Travers had a house brand that is made in Israel, not China. I have some of them and they are good quality M2 HSS.

I have also been using Chinese bits for decades, mostly for experimental tool grinds, but have found them to be more than adequate for hobby shop use. Some don't hold an edge as well as a quality US-made tool bit but that is an inconvenience, not a deal breaker.

My best advice: buy some reasonably priced tool bits from MSC or Travers and use them while keeping an eye out on ebay for high quality bits from the major makers - Cleveland, Latrobe, Crucible/Rex, Morse, Doall and Vasco. I usually pay far less for these high quality bits than I do for cheap Chinese bits from a supplier.

Back