HSS lathe tool grinding

And so, given the sage advice given, now I ask- belt grinders? Recommendations, pros and cons? I need to keep it small. I would love a 2x72, but 'space is the final frontier'. I don't have much left. 2x42 or 48 is about as big as I want to go.
I have seen many, online only. Palmgren has a 2x42 that appears to have the sort of table I need, but reviews were less than stellar. I also cannot see if the platen is easily upgraded to the "glass" type Mikey recommends. I am confident I could do any retrofit required, but time is a consideration too. I would like a $500 unit, but I can't justify THAT consideration either. Picky, ain't I?o_O. Cheap, too! Anyway, I would welcome any input. Thank you, gentlemen!

No! don't go grinding tools on your mill or lathe. Yeah, belt sanders are nice to have......but. You can do a fabulous job with a bench grinder that has a decent tool rest and a good grinding wheel.
There's a great discussion on how to do it on this site that goes into all of it.

In my opinion, belt sanders/grinders generate more heat than vitrified grinding wheels, especially when the grit dulls; you can redress a grinding wheel, you can't redress (sharpen) a belt. Over time, I think one could be sure that the productive life of a grinding wheel will vastly outstrip a great number of belts at much less cost. I do not waste my money on cheap cr-p import grinding wheels, I buy name brand USA made wheels.

I agree with ch20. I mainly use HSS tooling on my lathe and from day one went with a dedicated 8" grinder and white oxide wheels. The tool rests were modified to a pair of 4"x4" surfaces .The way I have set my fan blows the dust and grit away from the lathe.
Agree also with B.Over time it was a great investment.9 years so far out of the wheels and I dress them periodically.

Even parting Stainless steel with HSS is easy .I learnt the angles from online study. I can also freehand sharpen twist drills that throw twin pigtail swarf. When people cheap out on the wrong tools they often don't get the results they seek.

Ozwelder

Oz- yup it's true. I am a lifelong user, and buyer of tools my self. I have made my living my whole life building and fixing 'things'. From houses to road graders, and many things in between. I have been forced to use cheap tools, and bought many good ones. The concept of "buy good tools and cry ONCE......" is not lost on me. Like many here, I think, I must also find the balance between cost, need, frequency of use, ease of use, setup time, space available, blah blah blah. I continue to analyze all these and more. I thank you, and all those offering their opinion and experience.
. When people cheap out on the wrong tools they often don't get the results they seek.

Back