HSS lathe tooling blanks

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hello again,
I was experimenting using some of the advice I got about tool post orientation and tooling and the piece of scrap I picked to play with was basic 6061 aluminum. After some turning, material was building up on the edge of the HSS tool bit. Not chips but stuck on stuff. I was able to fleck most of it off but some remained, like a little moustache along the edge. So, I used another tool, also HSS, but the cutting edge needed a little touch up. After touch up and use, again there was this little moustache along the edge. and the tool was clearly dull, again.

This got me wondering about HSS and if there are different grades - which, thanks to the internet, I discovered there are.
Now, what crap do I have that doesn't hold an edge and allows this moustache to form so, I started to think...

- Is there a way to determine what grade of HSS I have, which I obtained from LMS?
- What grade should I be using for home shop work and where can I get?

I'm not doing production work or nor do I have a contract with NASA, just home projects but I have determined that this moustache is giving me a lousy finish. And if it's lousy on aluminum, I dare not think about CRS or anything else.

Red.

What are your feeds and speeds ?
What are you using for lube ?

What are your feeds and speeds ?
What are you using for lube
Facing and turning but I do not have a readout or speed selection. I would estimate about 600 rpm.
No lube, it's aluminum. Should I be using lube when turning it?

Facing and turning but I do not have a readout or speed selection. I would estimate about 600 rpm.
No lube, it's aluminum. Should I be using lube when turning it?
What kind of lathe ?
You really do need to find a chart or measure you various speeds and record them, spindle speed is a big factor when turning.

It is important to understand that just because a tool is made from HSS, that does not make it a good tool. Much depends on how it is ground, and then how it is used. Please post a pic that shows the tip of your tool so we can see what you're using.

Reactions: tjb
Honing the edges of your tool bits will help, smoother surface, less galling. Also as others have said, lubrication, even if you have to spit in it! I use Tap Magic for aluminum, the clear stuff not the thicker yellowish stuff, only because the thicker stuff smells bad! A few drops goes a long ways.

Because aluminum usually machines very easily, lot of people aren't aware that aluminum is quit abrasive. It is ruff on tooling. Aluminum oxide forms on the surface almost instantly when it is cut. Aluminum oxide sound familiar, there is a reason it's used to make abrasives!

Richard

You can cut small amounts of aluminum without cutting fluid but the build-up problem begins almost immediately.
WD-40, Tap magic, kerosene, liquid wrench are all useful preventers
-Mark

Back